Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Toy run brings holiday cheer to Buckner Motorized 'elves' ho

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Toy run brings holiday cheer to Buckner Motorized 'elves' host 16th event
Wednesday, December 6, 2006 - BY GENE HUGHES - Beaumont Journal - beaumontjournal.com

Carson May cozies up to Santa Claus after his arrival at the 16th Annual Bucker Toy Run Saturday.

For the past 16 years,a column of bikes,motorcycles, hogs,choppers,4x4's,hot rods and classic Corvettes has made its way to Buckner Children's Village for the annual Buckner Toy Run, bringing Christmas cheer,and a lot of toys,to the children.

Although there weren't as many vehicles and motorcycles this year,it certainly didn't damper the spirit of the annual event.

"To have a chance today,to just celebrate and be kids, and not have to worry about all the trauma of any abuse or neglect that these kids have been through,is a great thing for me to just be able to watch,"said Greg Eubanks, executive director of Buckner Children and Family Services of Southeast Texas."They're having a great time,and I'm a kid most every day,so I'm going to go tell Santa what I want for Christmas."

Last year at this time,the Buckner family was still recovering from its evacuation from Hurricane Rita, when 200 staffers and residents fled to Lufkin.

"We did come through a stressful summer,"Eubanks said."Being a new Beaumonter, it's something new for me to get used to.My staff has done a wonderful job of getting this place back in shape very quickly to try and make it home again."

After a hot dog lunch courtesy of Big Rich Courville, members of the Southern Hi-Rollers took residents out for a run in the mud.

The event was assisted by the participation of clubs such as the Trinity Travelers Chapter of the Christian Motorcyclists Association,VTS,Tri- City Corvette Club, Half Fast Riders, Southern Hi-Rollers 4x4 Club of Houston, Cowboy-Harley Davidson,Cowboy Honda Red Riders.

"(The best part is) when you turn that corner and drive through the entrance and see the excitement of these kids," said Chuck Edenfield of Houston,a member of the Tri-City Corvette Club and a five-year veteran of the toy run."It's a memory those kids will keep their whole lives."

Once called the Motorcycle Christmas, the event began 15 years ago when a few of the Christian motorcycle clubs showed an interest in doing something special for the children at Buckner.Over the years, the event began with only 10 riders,and has had as many as 150.

Funds for buying the gifts are collected starting in October,even before the children make their Christmas wish lists.Club members then take the children's lists and go shopping.The gifts are wrapped and placed under the tree,waiting for Santa to pass them out .

In addition to the gifts for the children,the various clubs presented Buckner with a new video projector,two digital cameras, two Play Station 2 game systems and new dining room tables for the facility's dining hall.

After receiving their presents from Santa and a hearty hot dog lunch from Big Rich Courville and his crew,the kids were treated

to motorcycle and Corvette rides,and the annual fourwheelin'through the mud pit.

Supporters of the annual event include Total Petrochemicals USA,Inc, Gold Crest Electric Company,Inc.,Ron Carter Ford in Alvin,Gammill Pneumatics,Inc,American Legion Riders,Gainer, Donnelly & Desroches, LLP,Courville's Special Events Catering & Rentals,Richard Courville, Charles Allen,Beaumont Fire Department,and Signs First.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.