Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Motorcycle Noise Poses Hearing Risk

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Motorcycle Noise Poses Hearing Risk
Monday, December 11, 2006 - Pak Tribune - paktribune.com

ISLAMABAD: Your hearing may be at risk if you were born to be wild. In an informal survey of 33 motorcycles, University of Florida audiologists found that nearly half of them produced sounds above 100 decibels when throttled up -- equivalent in intensity to a loud rock concert or a chainsaw.
The survey is part of an ongoing effort to identify recreational activities that may pose a risk to hearing, including noise levels experienced by motorcyclists, the researchers said.

The audiologists noted that the sample was small and not representative of all makes and models and those motorcycles with exhaust systems modified to make them louder. So formal research is needed to measure noise levels under typical riding conditions and to determine whether these early survey findings can be generalized to a larger number of bikes, they added.

Exposure to noise at 100 decibels is safe for only 15 minutes and permanent hearing loss can occur with prolonged exposure to noise levels of 85 decibels or higher, says the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health.

"Almost all of the motorcycles we tested reached action-level noise, which in the workplace would require ear protection," UF researcher Joy Colle said in a prepared statement.

"The loudest bike we tested measured 119 decibels with the engine revved, and the recommended exposure time at the level is only 11 seconds."

"Potentially, the vast majority of motorcyclists could be exposed to dangerous levels of noise," Colle said.

Motorcycle helmets don't offer any significant protection against noise. But inexpensive foam earplugs can reduce sound levels by 20 to 25 decibels, Colle said.

A ringing sound in the ears immediately after exposure and muffled hearing are warning signs of noise-induced hearing loss, which is permanent.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

hot_shoe_cv
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

#2 Unread post by hot_shoe_cv »

I have a few comments re noise levels:
1. Most of the hearing loss can be attributed to wind noise rather than a loud pipe assuming the rider is moving at a normal or high rate of speed.
after all, he is moving away from the source instead of being directly behind it where the decibals are loudest and where the decibal levels are measured.
2. Actally, helmets often create more wind noise/decibals rather than less; especially in helmets which are well vented. My current helmet has 14 vents and is very noisy, which I knew before buying it, but was the price to pay for more air flow in the AZ heat. I was already wearing ear protection so the increased noise had no discernable effect.
3.Ear plugs, to be effective should have a NRR of 26 or higher. I wear reusable silicone plugs every ride & if fitted correctly and are the correct size for one's ear canals are quite comfortable after becoming accustemed to them
02 1500 Mean Streak
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a111/hot_shoe_cv/allaccessories.jpg