Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

TOYS IN THE SUN RUN - $26 million collected since 1987

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

TOYS IN THE SUN RUN - $26 million collected since 1987
Monday, December 11, 2006 - BY ANI MARTINEZ - Miami Herald - miami.com/mld/miamiherald

It's motorcycles, not sleighs, for these SantasBikers in the tens of thousands rode from Pompano Beach to Markham Park in Sunrise with toys for sick kids in the annual Toys in the Sun Run.

Motorists who made the mistake of driving on Broward interstates Sunday morning were stopped in their tracks by thousands of leather-clad bikers with toys strapped to their motorcycles for an annual charity event that benefits children with cancer.

Supermodel Niki Taylor was among the 35,000-plus bikers who rode in the Toys in the Sun Run from Pompano Park harness track to Markham Park in Sunrise, taking over Intersate 95 and Intersate 595 from about 9:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.

''This combines my two favorite things: motorcycles and kids,'' Taylor said. ``I've been coming to this event for two years and I've had my motorcycle license for four years. I'm originally from Tennessee, so I'm a big fan of riding. I'll be coming every year.''

Taylor's black and white Harley-Davidson carried small toy cars -- her choice because her fiancé, Burney Lamar, is a NASCAR driver. Lamar was there, too, on his own motorcycle.

''This year we wanted to do something different because last year our stuffed animals flew all over the place,'' Taylor said. ``This event is so cool. The whole community thing is great and if I can do something so small as lend my name I would.''

The bikers headed to Markham Park for an afternoon festival filled with live music and food.

This 19th annual event is one of the largest motorcycle tours in the world, said Michael Savino, one of the event's organizers.

''The money goes to kids with cancer. No kid will be turned away, insurance or not,'' Savino said. ``If it's $1 or $1 million, it's going to the right place.''

$6 MILLION COLLECTED

Organizers say the event, presented by Rick Case Honda, has collected more than $20 million worth of toys and more than $6 million in cash since its inception in 1987.

That year, 700 riders raised $965 and collected more than 500 toys. This year, there were an estimated 35,000 to 40,000 riders who each donated $10 and a new unwrapped toy. The Fraternal Order of Police District 5 distributes the toys to underprivileged children in South Florida, and the money is donated to the Joe DiMaggio Children's Hospital Foundation in Hollywood.

''I have a soft spot for this event because my 18-month-old grandson is a cancer patient,'' said volunteer Jack Shifrel, with tears in his eyes. ``This event helps both kids and their families. If it brings a smile to a kid who has to face that battle every day, what we do today is worth it.''

Riders from around Florida have been preparing for the ride for months.

''I finally got my own Harley in July, so I've been looking forward to this event ever since,'' said Judy Markley of Royal Palm Beach. ``It's for the children, but it's also a great way to come and spend time with friends.''

READY TO RIDE

Zoe, a Jack Russell terrier, was ready to ride in her Santa suit and goggles. She's an enthusiastic motorcycle companion for her owners, Dan and Joanne Gaddi of Deerfield Beach. ''I made her a customized sleigh and it holds the toys,'' Dan Gaddi said. ``We've been coming for two years and it really gets you in the holiday spirit.''

Placed between their leather vests and denim jackets, most bikers wore a yellow sticker that read ''In Memory of Bob Amchir.'' Amchir, 67, president of the South Florida President's Council of Motorcycle Clubs and Organizations, is credited with helping to start the first run in 1987. He died Wednesday of leukemia.

''He was a wonderful person. If you told him a kid had a problem or a family was [having trouble] coping, he was there to help,'' Shifrel said. ``I don't think he would have envisioned 35,000 or 40,000 motorcycles, but it took on a life of its own and it looks like it's going to have a long life.''
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.