Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Bikers Buy Thousands of Dollars in Toys for Children

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Bikers Buy Thousands of Dollars in Toys for Children
Thursday, December 14, 2006 - Reported by: Chris Cowperthwaite - WTOC 11 - wtoctv.com

Attention Kmart shoppers. There were some long lines and unusual sights in the toy section Tuesday night. A couple dozen bikers crowded into the store, spending more than $5,000 for children in need.

Savannah's ABATE (American Bikers Active Toward Education) chapter had a toy run last weekend, and raised the money for what's become a big annual tradition. When they showed up at Kmart, the bikers themselves were sporting grins big enough that you'd think they were the ones getting toys.

With dozens of shopping carts literally overflowing with toys, ABATE members had a tough time just getting up to the cash register.

"Where they're waving over there, that's our line," laughed one biker. "And then it also goes left up to the register. So there's quite a bit of toys right now."

Members of the motorcycle group aimed at education spent several hours doing their best to clean out Kmart's entire supply of toys.

"They give us 10% off what we buy," explained Scotty White, the chapter's president. "We certainly appreciate that. It gives us more buying power."

Of course one of the reasons they were able to buy so many toys this time is because they had so many riders. More than 1,100 people turned up for the toy run a week and a half ago.

"Oh it's great. Happiness is looking in your mirror and seeing all those motorcycles coming behind you," said one biker, who only referred to himself as Santa Claus.

He led the line during the toy run, and said all it takes to melt even the toughest biker's heart is seeing the looks on the kids' faces: "I looked down, and I had a little kid on my leg, and he looks up at me and says, 'I love you Santa Claus.'"

He's happy, because this year they were able to pack up more toys than ever.

"My favorite part is just to know we're helping out as many people as possible with what we're doing," said White. "And to let people know that the bikers in this community really care, and this is our time to give back."

Now that they've bought the toys, the next step for ABATE is to deliver the truckloads to the Department of Family and Children Services and other groups to hand out.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.