Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Annual wreath-laying honors U.S. veterans

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Annual wreath-laying honors U.S. veterans
Friday, December 15, 2006 - By Lynn Donovan - Pensacola Newsjournal - pensacolanewsjournal.com

The mood was somber and reflective Thursday at a memorial wreath-laying ceremony at Barrancas National Cemetery at Pensacola Naval Air Station.

The event was part of the first "Wreaths Across America," where memorial wreaths were placed at more than 230 state and national cemeteries and veterans monuments throughout the country. It was sponsored by the Maine-based Worcester Wreath Co.

Sgt. 1st Class James Boyce, chapter president of the Okaloosa County U.S. Veterans Motorcycle Club, spoke to the group about freedom, commitment and sacrifice.

Boyce urged the crowd of about 50 to show their gratitude to the men and women serving in the military.

"We must thank those who gave their lives to keep us free and thank those who still fight to protect the innocent and the oppressed," Boyce said.

Boyce also acknowledged the Worcester Wreath Co. for its generous contribution.

No stranger to giving, this year marks the company's 15th anniversary of sending holiday wreaths to be placed at more than 5,000 headstones at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

"We need more people to say 'Thank you' like that," Boyce said. "Our country is in a serious state and people volunteer to fight for our freedoms. They need to know they're appreciated."

Personnel representing each military branch, as well as a veteran with the U.S. Veterans Motorcycle Club, came forward to place each ribbon-trimmed wreath on its stand and snap a salute.

Barney Reid, a former Army mechanic, came to represent his family.

"I needed to be here," Reid said. "I lost my uncle in Vietnam and my father in the Korean War. It's nice for someone to recognize them."

Bruce "Buster" Hartford represented the Worcester Wreath Co. Hartford's uncle, Merrill Worcester, got the idea to donate when he had extra wreaths to distribute during the holiday season.

"He's never been in the service," Hartford said. "He just does this out of the goodness of his heart.

"Someone e-mailed him and called him a great American and he replied, 'No, I'm just a grateful American.' "
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.