Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Big-hearted bikers don't need sleigh to carry toys

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Big-hearted bikers don't need sleigh to carry toys
Ocala Harley Owners Group holds toy run, Christmas party to give to kids in need.
Friday, December 15, 2006 - BY KEVIN CARTER - SPECIAL TO THE STAR-BANNER - Ocala - ocala.com

OCALA - Christmas cheer came in chrome this year for some Marion County children.

More than 800 motorcycle riders gave early Christmas gifts Sunday to 150 needy kids in the 16th annual Ocala Harley Owners Group toy run through Ocala.

The giving didn't stop with the parade's end. The group also gave presents and a Christmas party Wednesday to 14 children staying at the Marion County Rape Crisis Center.

The group's 250 members include men and women of all backgrounds who love the freedom of wide open roads, don't mind occasional close encounters with love bugs at high speeds and enjoy giving to the community.

"Bikers have generous hearts when it comes to children," said club treasurer JoAnne Williams.

At the end of the run at a local Harley Davidson dealership, gifts were given out while kids sat on Santa's lap for free pictures. The Ocala Police Department, Marion County Sheriff's Office and Emergency Medical Services Alliance all donated time and toys to make the drive possible.

Upon hearing that a 14-year-old paraplegic Fort King Middle School student with muscular dystrophy desperately wanted to be in the parade for his first motorcycle ride, club president Wayne Williams got busy.

He tracked down a rider from nearby Lake County with a suitable sidecar and asked for some help.

Anita Christiansen of Fruitland Park packed the boy into her sidecar and seated his 9-year-old sister behind her on her bright red 1200cc 1998 FLHS Harley for the parade.

The trio attracted a lot of attention as they drove directly behind a fire truck and in front of about 500 motorcycles sporting more than 300 passengers.

"People were waving and yelling," said Christiansen, who works at Merrill Lynch in The Villages when she's not riding her motorcycle. "He had a grin the whole time from ear to ear. He was giggling."

Christiansen said she was glad she could do something to lift someone's spirits.

"It made me feel wonderful. I would do it again," she said.

She asked the boy later what he thought about the ride.

"He says his wheelchair is fast, but that this is way faster and way cooler," she said. "He would have liked to have gone faster, but we were behind the fire truck."
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Apollofrost
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#2 Unread post by Apollofrost »

now that warms my heart
I'm starting a petition to cull narrowminded dull people - be afraid Peter, be very afraid....
-Anonymous

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

apollofrost wrote:now that warms my heart
All motorcyclists have really big hearts when it comes to helping others out, Christmas or not, bikers will always be there for those who need us most.

:D

Mike.
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.