Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Honda WorldSBK Riders Battle Through Misfortune in Race Two at Misano

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

@Honda $WorldSBK #Riders Battle Through Misfortune in Race Two at #Misano

The Honda WorldSBK Team has completed the Riviera di Rimini round of the World Superbike Championship by taking part in today’s race two at the Misano World Circuit ‘Marco Simoncelli’ in Italy. Nicky Hayden and Michael van der Mark finished the second encounter of the weekend in sixth and tenth places, respectively.

Michael van der MarkzoomMichael van der Mark Michael van der Mark(#60)zoomMichael van der Mark(#60)
Hayden did not enjoy the best of starts from sixth place on the grid and was running in ninth in the early stages. As the laps went by, the experienced American gradually found a better feeling with his Honda CBR1000RR Fireblade SP to join the five-way battle for fifth. In the latter part of the race, he was able to make his way up to sixth and ultimately missed a fifth-place finish by only 0.124secs at the line.

Michael van der Mark got a great launch from row four and was sixth on the opening lap of the encounter. Unfortunately for the young Dutchman, there was nothing he could do to avoid the sliding Ducati of Chaz Davies on lap three, when the Welshman fell in front of him at turn 14. Van der Mark was able to re-join the race in twenty-second place and did his utmost up to recover as many positions as possible before the checkered flag, eventually crossing the line in tenth. Despite the setback, the 2014 World Supersport Champion displayed a very competitive pace throughout race, which was on par with the leaders.

Round nine of the 2016 FIM Superbike World Championship will take place at Laguna Seca in the United States of America in three weeks’ time.

Honda Rider Comments
Nicky Hayden (Honda World Superbike Team)
Race result: DNF / 6th“After yesterday’s disappointment I was hoping to bounce back with a better performance. I got an OK start but in turns one, two, three and four I ended up being out of place and not aggressive enough so I got shuffled back through the field. But then I started to feel better on the bike despite running off-track at turn one at one stage. From then on my pace improved a little and, if I want to take a positive out of the race, I did my fastest time on lap 19. It was a little too late: I closed down on Savadori on the last lap after I got past Torres. Sixth is surely not a disaster but definitely not something to be too pumped about either. I’m a little bit disappointed with my performance today and I’ll try to make up for it in Laguna.”Michael van der Mark (Honda World Superbike Team)
Race result: 3rd/10th“This morning we tried some different things with the set-up but due to the cold temperatures we couldn’t really get any real information on it so we decided to revert back to yesterday’s settings, with some little tweaks here and there. I got a good start, although I got held up a little in the first two turns after what happened yesterday and that cost me some places. I then took them all back in the following turns and settled into a nice rhythm, until Chaz crashed in front of me. It was a weird one, because it was really early in the race. I picked my bike up immediately because I knew there were a lot of laps left and then just went as fast as I could. Considering the circumstances, tenth is a good result but a frustrating one, too, because I had a great pace. Without that setback, I think it would have been another podium for us.”Pieter Breddels : Technical Manager“Nicky was quite fast in warm up and his set-up looked good for the race, but unfortunately his start was not as quick as yesterday’s. He eventually found the pace and felt comfortable with the bike. It wasn’t easy for him to overtake but in the end he was the most competitive of the riders battling from fifth to eighth places. He couldn’t quite make it to P5 in the end, but I think with a better first half he could have been fighting for a higher position. We worked on some different damper settings with Michael but the cold warm up didn’t give us any clear indication. Tire choice for both riders has been a bit of a gamble, too, because we knew the track was warming up but nobody really knew how warm it was going to be. It's a shame for Michael’s result, especially because there was nothing he could do to avoid someone else’s accident. He was great in not losing concentration and his pace was simply amazing, and certainly as fast as the front-runners. With today’s performance, he has definitely proved that he is back where he belongs. Despite what could have been, we must be happy with the work done this weekend. In 2015 we were fighting for the top ten, and now we have managed to get on the podium. Hopefully we will carry some of this momentum into the next round.”
Michael van der MarkzoomMichael van der Mark Nicky HaydenzoomNicky Hayden
Jacobsen Wraps Up Misano Round with Podium Finish

A third-place finish was the result of today’s eighth-round World Supersport race for Patrick ‘PJ’ Jacobsen, who put together a fighting performance in front of the Italian crowd at the Misano World Circuit ‘Marco Simoncelli’. The race was won by Kenan Sofuoglu ahead of pole-sitter Federico Caricasulo (Bardahl Evan Bros. Honda Racing).

The young American rider had a good launch from third place on the grid and maintained his position into turn one. The following lap, Jacobsen made a successful move on Sofuoglu at the super-fast Turn 11, while on lap seven he overtook Caricasulo to move into the lead.

Jacobsen held in front until the penultimate lap, when he began experiencing a loss of grip that hindered his pace and then he was unable to defend his position. He was eventually overtaken by race winner Sofuoglu on the penultimate lap and then by Caricasulo before the checkered flag to round out the podium of today’s race, the last before the long summer break for World Supersport.

PJ will return to the track before mid September, though, as he will take part in this year’s edition of the Suzuka 8 Hours race, which takes place at the end of July.

Honda Rider Comments
Patrick Jacobsen (Honda World Supersport Team)
Race result: 3rd“At the beginning, I felt I was a bit more comfortable on the bike than Caricasulo looked and that is why I decided to take the lead. The bike felt good and I just tried to settle into my own rhythm as soon when I realized that I couldn’t open a gap. With four laps to go I thought that, if I kept my own pace, I would have been able to stay ahead but unfortunately the other two were a bit quicker, and in the end I hadn’t much grip left. I want to thank the team for their work: we were not fully 100% today and we knew it, but we gave our very best and a podium is always a good result. Now it’s time for me to prepare for Suzuka and then enjoy a summer break.”Pieter Breddels : Technical Manager“After the cold warm up, it was not easy to decide what to use in terms of tires, because the temperatures were much lower than yesterday and we didn’t know how much warmer it would been for the race. In the end we went for the SC1 at the front and the SC0 at the rear. PJ’s start was great and soon enough he was leading the race. Unfortunately, towards the end he made a small mistake while downshifting but it was because he had run out of grip grip. We’re happy with today’s podium, we made good points and we were in contention the whole time. We made up some ground to second place in the standings, which is now our goal as the leader is too far away. There’s a long break now for Supersport but we will work hard to make sure we are at 100% for the next race, while we still need to figure out why we keep struggling a bit in some areas.”
Federico Caricasulo(left),Patrick Jacobsen(right)zoomFederico Caricasulo(left),Patrick Jacobsen(right)

World Superbike and World Supersport 2016
Round 08: Misano World Circuit – Italy

Superbike Race 1

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team)
2 Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team)
3 Michael van der Mark (Honda World Superbike Team)
4 Chaz Davies (Aruba.it Racing - Ducati)
5 Jordi Torres (Althea BMW Racing Team)
6 Markus Reiterberger (Althea BMW Racing Team)
7 Niccolò Canepa (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team)
8 Leon Camier (MV Agusta Reparto Corse)
9 Román Ramos (Team GoEleven)
10 Anthony West (Pedercini Racing)
11 Joshua Brookes (Milwaukee BMW)
12 Alex De Angelis (IodaRacing Team)
13 Alex Lowes (Pata Yamaha Official WSBK Team)
14 Davide Giugliano (Aruba.it Racing - Ducati)
15 Pawe Szkopek (Team Tóth)

Superbike Race 2

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Jonathan Rea (Kawasaki Racing Team)
2 Tom Sykes (Kawasaki Racing Team)
3 Davide Giugliano (Aruba.it Racing - Ducati)
4 Xavi Fores (Barni Racing Team)
5 Lorenzo Savadori (IodaRacing Team)
6 Nicky Hayden (Honda World Superbike Team)
7 Jordi Torres (Althea BMW Racing Team)
8 Alex Lowes (Pata Yamaha Official WSBK Team)
9 Niccolò Canepa (Pata Yamaha Official WorldSBK Team)
10 Michael van der Mark (Honda World Superbike Team)
11 Anthony West (Pedercini Racing)
12 Román Ramos (Team GoEleven)
13 Alex De Angelis (IodaRacing Team)
14 Joshua Brookes (Milwaukee BMW)
15 Karel Abraham (Milwaukee BMW)

Supersport

Rank

Rider (Team)

1 Kenan Sofuoglu (Kawasaki Puccetti Racing)
2 Federico Caricasulo (Bardahl Evan Bros. Honda Racing)
3 Patrick Jacobsen (Honda World Supersport Team)
4 Gino Rea (GRT Racing Team)
5 Randy Krummenacher (Kawasaki Puccetti Racing)
6 Lorenzo Zanetti (MV Agusta Reparto Corse)
7 Alex Baldolini (Race Department ATK#25)
8 Axel Bassani (San Carlo Team Italia)
9 Luke Stapleford (Profile Racing)
10 Christoffer Bergman (CIA Landlord Insurance Honda)
11 Davide Stirpe (Scuderia Maranga Racing)
12 Hikari Okubo (CIA Landlord Insurance Honda)
13 Kevin Manfredi (Phoenix Racing Suzuki)
14 Luigi Morciano (Team GoEleven)
15 Aiden Wagner (GRT Racing Team)
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.