totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

SUVs, trucks pushing gas prices up

#1 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Yesterday I topped up my motorcycle tank as it was 1/2 full with 10.5 liters of gas for 97 cents a liter! That was $10! OUCH!

$20 to fill my motorcycle? That's crazy.... Oh well, at least I'm not in a SUV!

Mike.

-------------------------------------------------
SUVs, trucks pushing gas prices up
04/08/2005

MINNEAPOLIS/ST. PAUL – If you drive an SUV or truck, you might be getting desperate.

"I get crappy gas mileage so I bought a motorcycle," said Travis Zubick, an SUV owner from Edina. "I figure it will pay for itself."

Jill Tokarchik of Mound paid almost $49 to fill her SUV Thursday.

"I’m gonna cry when it goes over $50," she said.

Jeremy Johnson of St. Louis Park has a Ford Expedition that gets 12 miles per gallon.

"Like a 28 gallon tank, so lately its been $50-$55 to fill up. A year ago it was in the $40 range," Johnson said.

The Energy Information Administration now predicts gas will peak at 2.35 in May and then go down in the summer. It pointed out some of the reasons for high gas prices: Heavier vehicles, more horsepower and increased highway travel.

People who sell those SUVs say business is down a bit.

The Hummer averages about 10-13 miles per gallon, the same as many SUVs.

"It is a little bit tougher," said Jim Snook of Wally McCarthy Hummer. "More just mindset usually. The people are looking at sport utility, they know the gas prices, they know it’s not gonna change. They're gonna buy it anyway."

Hummer is coming out with a new unit next year that gets over 20 miles per gallon.

But high gas prices hurt everyone.

"People drive less," said gas station owner Steve Williams. "They also spend less in the store and certainly cut out the carwash."
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

Rebecca
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by Rebecca »

I am hate to think about the prices of fuel going on up but it looks like before the summer comes to end the prices here in the States will be around 3 bucks a gallon for reg.
Sure sucks
I accept my own life as a blessing and a gift

Scott58
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by Scott58 »

I'm happy to say i don't own a vehicle that gets less the 40 mpg. 2 tercels and 2 bikes. But even so, prices are catching up. Wonder who will be the first to massproduce a hybrid motorcycle.
05 Honda Rebel
04 Spitfire Cub-24
05Suzuki S50

oldnslo
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model1983 Yamaha Seca 900

#4 Unread post by oldnslo »

The thirsty pickup is driven only on weekends, the Toyota gets most of the miles.
This is a clam digging weekend here at the beach, and there are tons of motorhomes [5-7mpg, being generous], lots of 3/4 and 1-ton pickups pulling 30 ft trailers[probably about 10 mpg].
Gas at the local gas stations is 2.68/gallon for regular, over 3.00 for diesel. Nobody seems to give a damn, so get ready for it to eventually run up to 6.00 or so, thanks to American stupidity.
All we have to do is drive less and the prices will go down. So simple, but nobody seems to get it.
John
"83 XJ900RK

IT'S ABOUT OIL, MONEY, AND POWER, ALL OF THE TIME.

IrishJim
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by IrishJim »

you guys complain about paying $10 for half a tank, go to the uk and you can spend you entire retirement fund filling up your tanks here :(
Who will guard the guards?

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

Re: SUVs, trucks pushing gas prices up

#6 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Yesterday I topped up my motorcycle tank as it was 1/2 full with 10.5 liters of gas for 97 cents a liter! That was $10! OUCH!

$20 to fill my motorcycle? That's crazy.... Oh well, at least I'm not in a SUV!

Mike.
I dream of those prices.... oh well, at least the bike gets 50mpg
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]

furitive_revolution
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by furitive_revolution »

this is the way i look at these gas prices especialy for those $$ suv's:

you probably spent at least a good 40 grand on a decent suv or truck in which case it depreciates approx 5grand a year

insurance is going to run you a fair amount

along with all your maintenance and the cost to run the vehicle each km.

now people who spend all this money are complaining about an extra bit of money on gas. i can't feel sorry for them at all. they are spending all this money, then complain when gas goes up to 85 from 81.

if you are that worried about money, get a car. now for those whose HAVE to have the suv or truck for work, that sucks. but it's the people who buy one because it's big but don't really need it that i can't stand complaining

IrishJim
Regular
Regular

#8 Unread post by IrishJim »

If everyone in the US had a fuel efficient car then there wouldn't be such high prices on oil, as there wouldn't be a shortage.
Who will guard the guards?

iwannadie
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#9 Unread post by iwannadie »

i honestly dont see how some people afford the gas, i mean it must take a good 100$ to fill up one of these monster SUVs and here in phoenix i swear theres more over sized suv's than any other vehicle.

i see it all the time too its not once in a while sort of thing, i was picking my niece up from school and literally 30 suvs all parked in line waiting to get there kids not one bothered to turn the engine off(gotta have the radio and AC going i guess). so they sat idling big trucks and suvs for half an hour burning the gas like its no thing.
why spend a fortune on a gas hog like that just to go to the grocery store? its just beyond me, my sister drives an xterra which isnt that big but still they make trips to the store at least once some times twice a day and dont mind spending a fortune on gas doing it... if im getting under 15 miles per gallon id make ever gallon worth its cost. but some people dont mind blowing money on gas i guess.

i talked to a friend who drives a big truck and he makes around 600$ a pay check he said he puts at least a 100$ of that check in the gas tank every pay check. 200$ a month just for gas, you could buy a car for that much.

Nibblet99
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond

#10 Unread post by Nibblet99 »

Slight side track.... What does SUV stand for???

Best guess I've got over here is "Single Use Vehicle", as nobody can afford to fill em up after getting them home from the showroom....

Please enlighten me
Starting out responsibly? - [url=http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=24730]Clicky[/url]
looking for a forum that advocates race replica, 600cc supersports for learners on public roads? - [url=http://www.google.com]Clicky[/url]