ABATE OF MONTANA ISSUES NATIONWIDE CALL TO ACTION!

jstark47
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: '12 Tiger 800, '03 Trophy 1200

#21 Unread post by jstark47 »

Eh. I'm lukewarm about this. Abate wants my support to prevent Montana from taking away something THAT I WOULD NEVER DO ANYWAY.

Well, yeah, I agree we should make our own choices, but this is pretty theoretical IMO. It's like crusading aqainst a law outlawing bungee jumping off tall bridges. I'd prefer government not be a nanny, but I'm never going to bungee jump off tall bridges anyway, no desire to risk my neck that way, etc.

I just can't get worked up about this. Probably a bad attitude on my part, but like jackm50 said, there's more serious government incursions on personal freedom now......
2003 Triumph Trophy 1200
2009 BMW F650GS (wife's)
2012 Triumph Tiger 800
2018 Yamaha XT250 (wife's)
2013 Kawasaki KLX250S

Rydr
Elite
Elite

#22 Unread post by Rydr »

ABATE does a lot for the freedom of motorcyclists throughout the US. I do support their views. Freedoms are easily lost and hard to regain. Freedom of choice should be fought for.

That said I was very glad to be wearing my helmet when a drunk driver crossed the centerline in a curve a hit me head on. When I got out of hospital and had a chance to look over the damage to my helmet I found the deep gouges along one side of the face shield and four soft spots and several scrapes in the fiberglass.

If you want to wear a helmet then wear one and if you don't then don't. Your choice and that's what freedom is about.
Last edited by Rydr on Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

skoebl
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#23 Unread post by skoebl »

A guy I worked for always wore the little skull-cap style helmet (the minimum required in California) and constantly told me "if only you knew what freedom really was". Then I got in an accident on the way to work and scraped a hefty chunk out of the front of my helmet.
So I had a choice. Give up my "freedom" of being able to wear whatever kind of head protection I want; or give up my "freedom" of keeping my face. :shock:
SV650 K6 <---Suuper Awsome bike

[quote="V4underme"]
If I didn't feel like a monkey &*$%ing a football when I sat on a sporty, I'd probably own one.[/quote]

Rydr
Elite
Elite

#24 Unread post by Rydr »

skoebl wrote:A guy I worked for always wore the little skull-cap style helmet (the minimum required in California) and constantly told me "if only you knew what freedom really was". Then I got in an accident on the way to work and scraped a hefty chunk out of the front of my helmet.
So I had a choice. Give up my "freedom" of being able to wear whatever kind of head protection I want; or give up my "freedom" of keeping my face. :shock:
Freedom of choice is is exactly what it says, you have the choice of wearing whatever headgear you want. If you want to wear a helmet then you have that choice. You give up nothing. I don't know of any countries, provinces or states that have a law that says you can't wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 1984 Kawasaki GPz900R

#25 Unread post by JC Viper »

Rydr wrote:
skoebl wrote:A guy I worked for always wore the little skull-cap style helmet (the minimum required in California) and constantly told me "if only you knew what freedom really was". Then I got in an accident on the way to work and scraped a hefty chunk out of the front of my helmet.
Freedom of choice is is exactly what it says, you have the choice of wearing whatever headgear you want. If you want to wear a helmet then you have that choice. You give up nothing. I don't know of any countries, provinces or states that have a law that says you can't wear a helmet when riding a motorcycle.
Well the Philippines made an effort to ban full face helmets and to place plate numbers on the back of the helmets to catch bank robbers using motorcycles as getaway vehicles. Then again they also found out straw hats were bad protection in presidential motorcades...
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

jackM50black
Elite
Elite

#26 Unread post by jackM50black »

Rydr wrote:ABATE does a lot for the freedom of motorcyclists throughout the US. I do support their views. Freedoms are easily lost and hard to regain. Freedom of choice should be fought for.
I'm not sure, but What freedoms? Other than motorcycle helmet laws, what freedoms is ABATE fighting for?

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#27 Unread post by JC Viper »

Helmet laws are beginning to be quite useless since the bigger picture here regarding safety is the disregard of motorcyclists on public streets. Sure there are too many idiots who ride beyond skill level or drunk but most are caused by car drivers who don't look or don't care.

I say this because too many health care personnel keep the old story of "donorcycles" or that motorcycling is the most idiotic thing one can do. Then my doctor says to the nurse that more people die or get injured in bath related incidents.

Oh, Janklow is supposedly being released along with having his drivers and law license back. Pathetic.

Don't get me started with lane splitting... I just realized why so many people do it after some idiot in a van cracked my taillight lens that I was at fault for, it's as if I can just magically appear in front of him in 2 sec. stopped.

I would advise ABATE to rethink their "freedoms" crackpot.
One thing you can count on: You push a man too far, and sooner or later he'll start pushing back.

JC Viper
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#28 Unread post by JC Viper »

Here we go:

His record will be cleared because Circuit Judge Rodney Steele, now retired, issued Janklow a suspended imposition of sentence in 2004 - a one-time-only pass for a person found guilty of a felony.

A suspended imposition of sentence is similar to a pardon, and means that a judge has placed the jury's guilty verdict on hold. There is no conviction on record if a person complies with all conditions specified as punishment by the judge.

State law allows a suspended imposition of sentence only once in a person's lifetime. A judge can grant it if the judge believes justice and the best interests of the public and defendant will be served.

Steele said some bikers thought Janklow's punishment wasn't severe enough. But he said he researched similar cases and felt it was fair.

So basically since everyone else got away with killing a motorcyclist due to reckless behavior he should be entitled to a free kill.

Take that ABATE (not state specific)