Computer questions and solutions....thereof...

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#41 Unread post by blues2cruise »

t_bonee wrote:
blues2cruise wrote:
*snippage*

I'm finding some pages are still extremely slow to load...if at all. I have to click a few times or close it and try again. It's better than IE7 though.
Maybe try an online virus scan and spyware scan. Sounds like something may be eating your bandwidth. Lots of times a virus or nasty hunk of spyware will disable your protection software but make it seem like it is still working A-ok. An online virus/spyware scan may pickup something your installed software is missing.

I assume you have broadband and should be getting way faster down speeds. .
Yes, I have a high speed connection. Thanks for the suggestion. I will look into it.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#42 Unread post by roscowgo »

<<would personally suggest spybot from safer-networking.org, it should update during the first run wizard.
and avg's free scanner. free.grisoft.com and of course its updates too.

ad-aware and spybot might interact a tad. if i remember right, ad-aware actually keeps a copy of the offending spyware for some reason.

blues2cruise

#43 Unread post by blues2cruise »

roscowgo wrote:<<would personally suggest spybot from safer-networking.org, it should update during the first run wizard.
and avg's free scanner. free.grisoft.com and of course its updates too.

ad-aware and spybot might interact a tad. if i remember right, ad-aware actually keeps a copy of the offending spyware for some reason.
Thanks roscowgo. I ran a scan from Spyware doctor but I had to purchase to remove anything. I am unwilling to use my credit card for a company I don't know.

I think what you said about Ad-Aware keeping things is true. It only quarantines things. That is probably why the one I tried last night said I had so many on here.

Thanks for the reminder about spybot search and destroy. I used to have it on my old computer. I can always get rid of Ad-Aware easily enough if spybot doesn't like it.

Do you think AVG will find anything that the Norton doesn't find? The Norton seems to be working quite well.

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male

#44 Unread post by Sev »

download spybot search and destroy.

It does two things
1) removes all the spyware it can find (for free)
2) creates a junk file (.txt) in the place where spyware would normally put itself in the same name. Meaning spyware cannot install itself.

GLEE.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#45 Unread post by roscowgo »

Welcome. I've got about 200 users. All of which have net access. Spybot is one of the few things that keeps me from putting a deny all all eq 80 statement in my router.

Avg works well for me. The free version wont let you schedule When you want it to run. Which aggravates me something fierce. But i've ran into very few cases where it didnt find and kill what i wanted it to. I usually use it as an as-needed emergency scanner, then scrap it once the offending bug is gone.

I'm pretty leery of anti virus programs in general. They seem to like infecting systems with their protection. And i've ran into a few occasions where they're actually more destructive than the bugs in the first case.

A few tips to help you out in the future too.
1. Create a basic rights profile. Run as many programs as you can from that. The more steps bad software has to go through to infect you the better in my opinion.
2. Stay away from most any web app that looks cute or amusing etc... Bonzibuddy springs to mind. Smiley central, i know kazaa used to be LOADED with spyware. I am suspect of lots of flash games.
3. Email should be pretty standard, don't open emails from folks you dont know/werent expecting. careful with the attachments etc
4. Slow way down and look/think about what you click on the web. You're probably pretty safe on cnn.com it's when you find yourself linked to eb4y.com that you can start getting in trouble. Firefox will help you with the browsing problems. It doesnt seem nearly as vulnerable to most of the bugs.

blues2cruise

#46 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Hey, roscowgo, thanks. I'm usually quite careful about where I go on the internet.
However, I did get linked to ebay a few times unknowingly.

I'll copy and paste what you wrote so I can remember and go back to refer later.
Thanks.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#47 Unread post by roscowgo »

well not ebay in particular. I mean you can get spoofed links. Spam emails are good for that. The link might say www.ebay.com and take you to Donkey shows r' us or something.

Oh and duh. im such a taterhead. did the scans help out with your slow loading problems?

blues2cruise

#48 Unread post by blues2cruise »

roscowgo wrote:well not ebay in particular. I mean you can get spoofed links. Spam emails are good for that. The link might say www.ebay.com and take you to Donkey shows r' us or something.

Oh and duh. im such a taterhead. did the scans help out with your slow loading problems?
Not particularly. For example, I made a post in the Delaware/Texas thread. The submit button would not "submit", so I clicked again. and again and again.......
After several clicks it finally responded, but then I ended up with about 8 posts. :laughing:

I have been using Yahoo mail for a long time as an email address for forums. It's been good. But now sometimes it won't load and I have to cloes the link and try again. Then when the page does start to load, it takes forever for it to open up.

I'm still working in it. I just haven't been at the computer much in the last couple of days. I probably will have to wait until Sunday night or early next week now to put any time into the problem since I won't be home much.

(I have been inadvertently redirected (in the past on my old computer) to a few of those places you mentioned and they are sites I have no interest in. )

Camera club tonight, snowshoe excursion Friday up a local mountain Friday night, and The Vancouver Mototcycle Show on Saturday. I hope there are some show specials on tires.

Oh, and.....I don't know what you mean by creating a basic rights profile. I ran a broadband speed test. It said my connection was "mediocre". Well, I'm not paying for mediocre, so maybe the problem is my provider. I will check with them also.

In the meantime, it will be shut off because I have to leave for work and I won't have time to play later.

roscowgo
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#49 Unread post by roscowgo »

The basic rights profile is just another windows user added on that doesnt have administrative rights. can't install programs on it, can't see alot of the property pages.... things like that. it just adds an extra layer of complexity to your set up, so that the automated bugs that take advantage of whatever flaw they use to get in, have a harder time getting a toe in the door.

doesnt make you safe entirely by any means though. Good luck blues. troubleshooting a computer across a forum is always an adventure. :D

blues2cruise

#50 Unread post by blues2cruise »

I finally got a response to my email to my ISP. They told me to try a bunch of stuff....which I aready had....

Finally a friend came over to have a look. He did an online speed test for the uploading and downloading.
The downloading was extremely low. So, he called the ISP and talked to a tech.
It turned out that the slow loading problem was not my computer, or malware, or spyware. There was a problem in the line somewhere. There has been a problem in thier line for a while.

So, while the loading of some pages is definitely better, there are still a few that are slow.
One of them is yahoo mail. For crying out loud, if they would get rid of that stupid animated guy running away from the stupid animated ostrich it might help.

After Firefox, other things started happening, so I uninstalled it and am back to IE 6 for now.

Now I have to find out why a window opens up to ask me what program I want to use to acces the internet. :roll: ...every time...... :roll:

Ya know that old saying,"If things aren't broke, don't fix it?"
Well, I never had any problems with IE6...I should never have paid attention to folks who were insisting IE7 was so great.

Talk about frustrating.......I think I'd like to go two-stepping.....and have some fun. :wink: