Toyuzu
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 15
My Motorcycle: 1981 Honda CX 500 Custom

I'm back....

#1 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Well, sort of. The Army has a way of taking the vast majority of my time. For those of you who remember me, here's an update:

I'm currently serving in Afghanistan, on my second deployment in less than four years. By the time I get back, I will have spent more time deployed in Iraq and Afghanistan than all of my time in the US combined, including basic training, etc.

I sold the bike you see in my avatar before moving from California to Alaska to go to my first duty station at Fort Richardson. I have decided never to leave Alaska. That should tell you something about the effect AK has on me considering I love to ride, and you can only do that about 4 months out of the year there.

I did start having a serious case of bike withdrawal though, and my ATV's weren't quite cutting it. So last summer, right at the end of the riding season I decided to get another bike and start riding again. So with a budget of $2K, I started searching Craigslist, and a couple of other local classifieds sites for a bike.

I have to regress here a bit - About 14 years ago when I first started riding motorcycles, I bought a 1980 Honda CX 500 Custom for $600. It was well-worn, but road worthy and I put over 15,000 miles on it in a year. It was absolutely riliable almost to the point of being boring. NOTHING ever went wrong on that bike. I eventually sold it, deciding that I wanted something bigger and more powerful for weekend rides with my wife. I wound up getting a 1980 Yamaha XS 1100 Special. But I always told myself if I ever found another CX 500 in decent shape, I'd snatch it up.

Okay, fast-forward back to the more recent past - fall of 2008. One morning I woke up at 4 A.M. like usual to get ready for work. My customary first stop was the computer to check Craigslist. To my amazement, there it was - a pristine, show-room condition 1980 Honda CX 500 Custom with only 5900 miles on the clock for....you guessed it, $2K. I could hardly contain myself during morning PT (physical training for you non-army types) and breakfast. At 8 a.m. I couldn't wait any longer. I pulled out my cell phone and dialed the number I had written down from the add. The owner answered on the second ring (Yes, I still remember how many times it rang.) and said he still had it. We made plans to meet on my lunch break, and to make a long story short, My truck had a Honda in the back on the way home that evening. In the three weeks I had left before the first snows, I put just over 2K miles on it. And ironically, my best friend, another soldier in my unit is my riding partner. He rides....a 1980 Yamaha XS 1100 Special. Talk about a walk down memory lane!

Now I can't wait to get back home and start exploring more of Alaska on two wheels. Happy riding everyone. 8)
[i]Only the dead have seen the end of war. (Plato)[/i]

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#2 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Welcome back to TMW!

I would love to go visit Alaska. Not sure I could live there but definitely want to see it. Looks beautiful.

Hope ya get back soon.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

Toyuzu

#3 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Thanks Fireguzzi. Alaskans have a saying: "The state of Alaska is almost entirely populated by those who came for a visit.....and never left."

Keep that in mind if you ever do decide to come. :wink:

I tried to get Highside converted when he came for a visit a couple of years ago, but apparently Canada still has a hold on him. :?

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

Canada is just like Alaska, but without all them 'Mericans wandering around, waving flags and shootin' guns. (wait, that sounds kinda fun...) And we can get a plate of decent poutine. :laughing:

When you get home and settled back in, you better jump on that CX and head down here for a visit, Dude. I still got alot more corrupting to do to you. :twisted:

Good to see you back here.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Welcome back! I remember I saw a few posts by you when I first joined the board in fall of 07 but ya disappeared on me.
Anyway, yeah Alaska is beautiful. I went up there on a family vacation the summer I turned 16 (2002 I think), and have vowed that I would return. I'd still love to move up there, anyone up there need bike/sled/atv mechanics? :laughing:
I have a good friend working on HDs in Fairbanks, so if you ever drop through there, drop by the dealership and say hi to Chris for me. Little Hawaiian guy, can't miss him!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Toyuzu

#6 Unread post by Toyuzu »

BuzZz wrote:Canada is just like Alaska, but without all them 'Mericans wandering around, waving flags and shootin' guns. (wait, that sounds kinda fun...) And we can get a plate of decent poutine. :laughing:

When you get home and settled back in, you better jump on that CX and head down here for a visit, Dude. I still got alot more corrupting to do to you. :twisted:

Good to see you back here.
You don't really think there's anything left of me that hasn't already been corrupted, do ya! Be careful what you wish for - I just might take you up on that offer! :shock:

Toyuzu

#7 Unread post by Toyuzu »

Wrider wrote:Welcome back! I remember I saw a few posts by you when I first joined the board in fall of 07 but ya disappeared on me.
Anyway, yeah Alaska is beautiful. I went up there on a family vacation the summer I turned 16 (2002 I think), and have vowed that I would return. I'd still love to move up there, anyone up there need bike/sled/atv mechanics? :laughing:
I have a good friend working on HDs in Fairbanks, so if you ever drop through there, drop by the dealership and say hi to Chris for me. Little Hawaiian guy, can't miss him!
Man, I don't know how many times I've heard people complain about how long it takes to get their bikes/fourwheelers/snowmachines fixed. If you ask me - that means there's a shortage of good bike wrenchers and demand is high. So what are ya waiting for? :wink:

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Welcome back! Nice to see you here again.

How are you handling the heat and the sand?

Toyuzu

#9 Unread post by Toyuzu »

blues2cruise wrote:Welcome back! Nice to see you here again.

How are you handling the heat and the sand?
Well, the sand is okay, except when the wind picks it up and tries to force it into my lungs. :lol: We get some pretty nasty sandstorms over here. The heat isn't bad though, especially compared to Iraq. I'm on a FOB that sits on a plateau at about 7300 ft. elevation, so it doesn't get too hot. It's only been up to around 95 degrees f. so far. Where I was at in Iraq 120 degrees was a cool day in the summer. :shock:

Skier

#10 Unread post by Skier »

Nice to see you back, Toyuzu. Stay safe and thank you for your service.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]