johnb757
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Magna 750

Freeway messages stir outrage in some drivers

#1 Unread post by johnb757 »

I was not sure where to post this but to us newbies and vetern riders alike, this article should reinforce what cagers think of bikers...and it is not nice.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010 ... ble/?imw=Y

johnb757
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2003 Honda Magna 750

Re: Freeway messages stir outrage in some drivers

#2 Unread post by johnb757 »

Lets hope no of us run into this person out there:

"I was ANGRY to see the messages also. First of all, cars were slowing down on the 5 freeway on Friday trying to read thse idiotic signs. THESE SIGNS SHOULD BE USED FOR EMERGENCY PURPOSES ONLY- like serious accidents! Second, in the past year, at least 4 motorcycles have driven maybe 3 inches from my car going 70-80 mph barely missing my door and scaring the hell outta me. Third, 52 motorcyclists have died in San Diego County alone in 2008- that's a lot! MOTORCYCLES DO NOT BELONG ON FREEWAYS! IT IS NOT MY RESPONSIBILITY TO LOOK OUT FOR THESE IDIOTS!"

What a wonderful attitude...

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

America.... Land of The Free.

Unless the Free don't feel like extending that same freedom to the person next to them.... :roll:

"Hey, it might mean having to turn my head, or even, *gasp*, pay attention to what I'm doing with my automobile...I'm an American, I have rights, You can't make me do that!!!" :lol:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Buzzz as a Canuckistanian you cannot comment on Americans...
Now as an American,
America.... Land of The Free.

Unless the Free don't feel like extending that same freedom to the person next to them.... :roll:

"Hey, it might mean having to turn my head, or even, *gasp*, pay attention to what I'm doing with my automobile...I'm an American, I have rights, You can't make me do that!!!" :lol:
:laughing:
Completely agree... Amazing how many people think that just because their vehicle is bigger they have the right of way.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

Wrider wrote:Buzzz as a Canuckistanian you cannot comment on Americans...
Hhhmmm, sorry, I missed that memo.... now I can ignore it on purpose instead of by accident. :lol:

That attitude is not just an American one. We have plenty of drivers up here who think (and drive) the same way. I think that's why lane splitting will never be legal here. Too many people will be opening doors, swerving in their lanes and generally taking out bikes in slow traffic, and feeling pretty dam smug about the whole thing.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#6 Unread post by Wrider »

Yeah seriously. I still remember an ignorant screwball in a lifted pickup almost taking me out when I was driving perfectly legal next to him at the speed limit. I doubled the limit and scraped pegs on a flat straight road to get away from him then he had the audacity to honk his horn like I was the bad guy...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

MZ33
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: fabulous 2008 Kawi Versys

#7 Unread post by MZ33 »

Well, to be honest, before I rode, I hated motorcyclists, too. As a driver, they made me very nervous, since I was never sure what they were going to do or where they were going to be next. Moreover, I didn't know which biker was going to be responsible, and which one was going to be a jackass. And while many of us as riders know that not everyone is a squid, drivers see and remember squids the most--they make the biggest impression. They are attention-seeking, after all. For that matter, so are the loud-pipes crowd. They both stick out like sore thumbs, and they both seem to frequent the highways.

I didn't understand motorcycle riding habits, either. Why wouldn't they stay in the middle of the lane? What's the love affair with the center line? Why are they always jimmying around? What are they going to do at the next stoplight? Knowing what good habits are can help a driver judge whether he/she is coming up on a good rider or an irresponsible one. I think most of us make judgements about the drivers around us (whether riding or driving ourselves), and make mental notes about who is doing what and how that may affect me. Drivers can't do that with motorcycles because they don't know enough.

Sometimes, I envision commercial spots where a bunch of bikers are sitting around a coffee joint, not a bar, talking about bikes and cars and how they interact. Include the loud pipes guy, and discuss both squids and distracted driving. Like the old Maxwell House coffee commercials, they could weave a story over time.
[img]http://i39.tinypic.com/16jla1l.jpg[/img]

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#8 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Things like this would be why car drivers dislike motorcyclists.

Just as we say we are entitled to our whole lane...so are the cars....

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#9 Unread post by dr_bar »

blues2cruise wrote:Things like this would be why car drivers dislike motorcyclists.

Just as we say we are entitled to our whole lane...so are the cars....
Except that picture looks to be taken in California where splitting lanes is legal... Not that I agree with, or think it's safe...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

blues2cruise
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#10 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Regardless of where it was....and yes, it's California.....that type of riding only stirs up resentment....

I'm glad we dont do it here.

Although...It would sure be nice to ride on the shoulder of the highway when traffic is backed up and it's so hot/cold outside and the exhaust is thick.....hack hack....