Are you all for "Fair and Balanced" media?

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

Are you all for "Fair and Balanced" media?

#1 Unread post by TechTMW »

“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#2 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Tech

Fortunately, I don't have a sattelite dish, so am spared the particular torment of listening to Fox on a regular basis. (I don't know though - could be entertaining.)

Some friends of mine compared the news programmes that Fox put out in the United Sates with the news they put out in Europe. And the content is not the same.

As American politics are generally way to the Right of anything we have here in the UK (or in most of Europe), Fox clearly realised that no-one here would put up with the Far-Right drivel that they get away with in the States. So Fox Channel news items here are positively Liberal in their reporting by American standards (though still very Right Wing to most European thinking).

So, like any commercial organisation, Fox's bottom line is making a buck and its politics are as adaptable as any other values in capitalist society.

I can't be bothered with TV news any more and I rarely read newspapers. When it comes down to it, they're all commercial businesses and they all rely on advertising revenue, so they're never going to derail the gravy train. I'm sick of reading propaganda day-in and day-out. Even the most liberal papers here wouldn't dream of questioning the so-called 'benign' intentions of the state even when the truth is screaming in their face.

Have you come across these media-watch websites: 'FAIR' (Fairness and Accuracy In Reporting) in the U.S. and 'Medialens' in the UK. They're both worth a visit. FAIR is punchy and news-led, Medialens is more analytical and engages media-personnel directly in debate.

In the meantime, Fox 'ear plugs' sound attractive, though they might be a bit small for Bobb's ears (eh Bobb?? :D )

Cheers.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

rdeviney
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by rdeviney »

Fox News? Hmm, I grew up in rural eastern Washington and was taught at a young age to keep my distance from any animals/people that had foam around the mouth.

JJ
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by JJ »

ANY story in the media is only the part they want you to hear.

A friend's brother teaches media relations in college. He had an occasion to use his skills and manipulated what got reported.

I found myself in the news after I was hit in a car accident. I had to wonder if the media was at the same accident I was in.

Another friend was 'befriended' by the media after his house burnt down. In the end the paper made it sound like he was a loser out drinking all night to come home and find his family home in flames. (when in fact he was out making pizza deliveries to try to make ends meet)

I'll stop here before my BP really gets high

have a nice day all you scum media people

jj
Look for me at the next bike rally
middle aged, fat, black T-shirt & jeans
Easy to spot eh?

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX