mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 14
My Motorcycle: Speed Triple 1050 se '09

Weird Connections Game

#1 Unread post by mogster »

This game is a version of a TV show we have here in UK. To make it fun each posting should have some sort of connection to a keyword of the previous story.

Here we go..........

My story is a link to my post about the RNLI.
I had the pleasure of knowing an eccentric English gentleman called Julian Cooke. He was a marine engineer & inventor. He helped design the non rolling seagoing lifeboat :boat: we use in the UK, & was also involved in the early hovercraft design.

The fun part of the story is that his family home was sold (to pay death duties) to George Harrison (The Beatles) who donated it to the Hare Krishna movement ads their UK HQ. When Julian visited he was amused to find that they were still "playing" in his old nursery playroom as it was the "levitation room"! :whenpigsfly:

To get the game going perhaps someone has a personal connection to The Beatles or maybe a hovercraft incident!

have fun. :party:

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750
Sex: Male

Re: Weird Connections Game

#2 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Well, let's see here.. oddly enough a Yamaha dealership in Calgary I worked at used to provide service for small hovercrafts.

The company came to us because there hovercrafts used a pair of venerable Yamaha PZ480 Phazer snowmobile engines to power the fans that generate all that hover lift under the skirts of those things. Or those engines ran the fans that pushed it along... can't really remember, but I guess it was different enough that I remember them it somehow because they were unique.

The company was some sort of a hunting or tour-guide company... something along those lines. I thought it was interesting at the time...

how's that for a tenuous connection :laughing:
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#3 Unread post by mogster »

Well done QM! I knew I could rely on you to get this going. :clapping:

Ok not very exciting but I have a mate who drag races snowmobiles on the European circuit. He used to compete in sidecar racing but decided to get involved in a less dangerous hobby!

:party:
MOG

The roar of her mighty TRIUMPH was heard throughout the land

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Did you guys know that stock for stock, snowmobiles are the fastest accelerating production vehicles on the planet?
Oh and Yamaha likes their 4-stroke sleds so much that they're the only manufacturer who doesn't make a 2-stroke sled, and will still offer warranty on the motor even if you turbo it.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

QuietMonkey
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#5 Unread post by QuietMonkey »

Snowmobiles.... the fastest accelerating machines? hmmmmmmm.... (grasping at a straw to steer the story another direction...)

Johnny Carson used to reveal intruiging, and somewhat trivial news items to Ed McMahon and audience on the Tonite Show, and then answer "I did not *know* that!"
"Zounds! Zorched by Zarches, Spaceman Spiff's crippled craft crashes on planet Plootarg!"

For Sale: Ninja 600 with parts bike, needs minor work, $30, no title... (GEE THAT DOESNT RING ANY WARNING BELLS DOES IT?)

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#6 Unread post by mogster »

Seems like we might have run out of steam on this one! :-?

If anyone out there wants to post a new story the go for it..............

MOG

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#7 Unread post by mogster »

No takers then? :?

Ok I will try again!

This is a family story which my elder brothers can confirm.........

One sunny day :sunshine: (rare in Edinburgh), in 1963 James Bond 007 bought me an ice cream!
:icecream:
I was far too little to remember but as it happens Sean Connery's family lived in the same street as we did. Just after the release of Dr No he rolled into town in a whites Rolls Royce (as befitting new superstar). 8)

Spotting the local ice cream van he (or most likely his driver) gave the vendor a large banknote (guessing £20) & ordered free ice creams for every kid in the street! :clapping:

As I said I was too young to actually remember it but my Mum definately did! :twss:

MOG

Hondagirl
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2008 Honda Motard XR400

#8 Unread post by Hondagirl »

okay........ I'll join in with another family themed story. Of course about ice cream :mrgreen: but nobody famous ..
(Wow you lived on the same street as Sean Connery! :D )

I know why I hadn't been given one as I hadnt been born but it was the first time my brother Simon had ever seen one at around one years old apparantly. Or maybe ..it was just an unfamiliar setting for the ice cream.

Think cone :icecream:

Clueless on the details and family stories do tend to get muddled :ermm: but my Dad thought it would be a funny experiment to give Simon the cone and not tell him what this thing was and sit back and watch what he did with it.

So it was handed over casually to brother who took it in his tight little fist and immediately tried to attach it to his nose :boat:

He obviously thought it was a playnose or a hat or something.

Yeah...weird story. Its a "family -only- will- laugh" kind of story :bag:

But at least I tried to keep the thread going :mrgreen:

:anyone:
Honda Motard XR400
Traded: Honda SL230 and Yamaha XJR400

mogster
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

#9 Unread post by mogster »

Well done Hondagirl you have got the hang of the game :clapping: ..................

NO NEED FOR FAMOUS PEOPLE IT WAS JUST A WAY OF STARTING STORY.

So it seems the current themes are icecream & brothers...................I'm sure there must be lots of stories out there that will tie in???

I will leave it for someone else to try at the moment.
MOG

sunshine229
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#10 Unread post by sunshine229 »

Mike and I got married in a really small, secluded town on the west coast of Canada. It is one of the most un-multicultural towns you could ever visit, I think.

His brother was our Best Man, is from the big city of Toronto (typical city, including full of multiculturalism). He had never been outside of Toronto when he visited the west for our wedding. During his speech, he said:

"It's amazing to be here, I had no idea this is what western Canada looked like. But when I stepped off the airplane I was thinking 'who sprayed all the pine scent' and 'where are all the coloured people'?"

:laughing:
Andrea :sun: