Suzuki M50 - Winter Proofing and potential mod?

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Suzuki M50 - Winter Proofing and potential mod?

#1 Unread post by BlueBomber »

It's finally gotten cold, and i finally have time to rip the batter out of my bike. Joy.

Any funky connectors or anythin I should worry about?

Also one site I was looking at said they had a rack that goes behind the Rider saddle and acts as a passenger seat elimination panel...but of course the pic wasn't working, any suggestions?

\/\/
Suzuki Boulevard M50 - Bright Blue

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#2 Unread post by BlueBomber »

And More...

My problem is, I've never worked with batteries before, it kind of scares the crap out of me. Please tell me some of the really "duh, that's basic knowledge" things that I will screw up if I do this by myself, thanks.

\/\/

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by Sev »

It's pretty simple.

1) disconnect the ground (negative first) bend the wire away from the frame
2) pull the red rubber off the positive wire and disconnect it
3) pull the battery out, don't shake it around, and try not to tip it end to end
4) you're done

When reinstalling
1) install battery into bike
2) connect the positive (red usually) first
3) connect the negative wire

fire it up

A normal screw driver will be safe for use, you can probably safely grab the metal part of the wire itself, I prefer not to.

Disconnect the ground (negative on North American bike) first, because most bikes use the frame a ground. If you're touching the positive wire with say a wrench, and accidently touch the frame with the wrench you've completed the circuit, and there's no resistance, so you've basically got an arc welder... you'll weld the wrench to the frame, throw sparks, and possibly damage the battery.

Remember, when removing:
ground first (usually negative)
then live (usually positive)

When reinstalling
positive first
then negative

And you'll be fine.

Other then that, don't worry.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by BlueBomber »

I think it's the whole...touching a thing that I know puts out lots of.. SHOCKYNESS - word used for dramatic paranoia -

I'll be working on it in a bit now, so I'll let you know how it goes.

\/\/

BlueBomber
Elite
Elite

#5 Unread post by BlueBomber »

So that went pretty well. Only problem is I think my allen wrench was slightly damaged at the end, almost stripped a bolt.

And then the battery had no good place to get ahold of it, so that was a pain in the "O Ring".

but it's gone, and I've decided the passenger seat is going at some point, it may never be going back on...MUAHAHAHAHA

\/\/

Tarheel365
Regular
Regular

#6 Unread post by Tarheel365 »

BlueBomber wrote:So that went pretty well. Only problem is I think my allen wrench was slightly damaged at the end, almost stripped a bolt.

And then the battery had no good place to get ahold of it, so that was a pain in the "O Ring".

but it's gone, and I've decided the passenger seat is going at some point, it may never be going back on...MUAHAHAHAHA

\/\/
check out http://www.motorcycle-journal.com/forum ... -hideaway/
or
www.volusiariders.com for some ideas

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

My friend Malice just pulled off the seat, stuck the bolt back through and didn't think about it again. Worked out pretty well imo.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

Well, for the mod, you can always use the "backwards gas cap" mod... lol Apparently if you turn the gas cap backwards, you can get 100 WHP, 100 ft/lbs of torque, and out-accelerate a ZX-14... lol Anyway, Volusiariders always has good mods and such there...
Wrider
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha