KenCobra03
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Using gas with Ethanol.

#1 Unread post by KenCobra03 »

Has anyone had a problem with the Ethanol in our gas, gumming up
the carburaters? One person told me there is something you can
add to the gas to prevent the Ethanol gumming up the carbs.
Anyone hear of this additive?
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
1981 Honda CB750 C

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

Ethanol is alcohol which I thought evaporated without leaving a residue? And considering the stuff is basically a solvent I can't imagine it would cause your carbs to gum, but it's possible that it would.

Gasoline stabilizer will most likely prevent the carbs from gumming up though.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#3 Unread post by BuzZz »

I think most problems with ethanol 'gumming' fuel systems up are caused by incompatible rubber and plastics in the system that react with the ethanol. This causes the gummy deposits and also eats away the various rubber parts.

I also believe it is mostly a problem with older vehicles, as most newer ones use ethanol compatible materials.

As for a product to counter-act this...... I have never heard of one. It may well exist (or something that claims to work at any rate), but it's news to me.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#4 Unread post by slimcolo »

I have used Kragen "Oxygenated Fuel, De Oxygenizer" It helped but did not cure all of the ignition problems (mainly decreased plug life) with ethanol. I believe that higher compression ratios on older motors also effect this as ethanol burns a little less efficient than gas. (decreased plug life)

What both Buzz and Sev say are correct. Especially about older bikes. I have however seen up to a 60% decrease in mileage. (have also seen a 7% increase) Fuel injection seems to have very little probs. compared to carbs. Also electronic ignition compared to points. (both FI and EI are usually adjusted via sensors and by computer, thus no effect)

Ethanol can eat through fiberglass gas tanks as well as some rubber. Ethanol is a solvent and as such may clean your fuel system just to deposit the gunk in your carb, hopefully you have a filter. (not a real concern but, probably cleans station tank also)

I've read different years that from there forward are ok w/ ethanol. Some say 1970 some as late as 1987. Most say 1980. This however is for cars and MC often has different time-line. (unleaded only motors were required for cars in 1975, but not till 1978 for bikes and trucks over 1/2 ton)

I also have some links about ethanol in my blog a few days ago!
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842

KenCobra03
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by KenCobra03 »

Ethanol in my gas caused my 2003 Mustang Cobra to lean out a bit
and I needed to go back to my tuner and get back on the dyno for
some riching up of my fuel tables.
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
1981 Honda CB750 C

KenCobra03
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by KenCobra03 »

Thanks for all the great replies ! 8)
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
1981 Honda CB750 C

mellis95
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by mellis95 »

I don't know much about Ethanol, but what I do know is that it supposedly doesn't burn as well in a higher performance engine. For instance, in smaller airplanes that are authorized to burn auto fuel, you have to burn fuel without ethanol because supposedly your engine can putter out mid-flight. (Not a good thing!) I assume it is similar in a high performance engine of any type.
I have a V-Star 1100 and have not had a problem with fuel since I bought it used a year ago and every pump I have filled up at has the 10% ethanol.

Matt
Matt

2000 V-Star 1100 Classic

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

Possibly because you need more ethanol in the air/fuel mixture then you would gasoline.

When rejetting to run straight alcohol you need to increase your jet flow by 20-50% :O
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#9 Unread post by flynrider »

mellis95 wrote:I don't know much about Ethanol, but what I do know is that it supposedly doesn't burn as well in a higher performance engine. For instance, in smaller airplanes that are authorized to burn auto fuel, you have to burn fuel without ethanol because supposedly your engine can putter out mid-flight. (Not a good thing!)
It has nothing to do with the burning qualities of ethanol. It has everything to do with what Buzz said. Most small planes were designed and built before ethanol was a factor. Their fuel system components are not compatable and parts will melt/swell/fall apart in the presence of ethanol laced gasoline.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

KenCobra03
Rookie
Rookie

#10 Unread post by KenCobra03 »

I will find out about a fuel additive that will help fight the negative
results that Ethanol causes. I'll post the name for everyone.
Last edited by KenCobra03 on Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
2003 Ford Mustang Cobra
1981 Honda CB750 C