Tire Dressing for Motorcycles

blair
Legendary
Legendary
Sex: Male

Tire Dressing for Motorcycles

#1 Unread post by blair »

I wanted to get rid of a little of the dirty/oxidized look on the sidewalls of my bike tires, so I went to Checker Auto to get some Armor-All.

I read the side of the bottle, and it says it's not for use on cycle tires.

Makes sense. The stuff is basically lubricant, and a spinning tire might migrate it from the sidewall to the tread.

So is there a tire dressing designed for bikes? Or are the Armor-All people just protecting themselves from people so dumb they'd rub it on the tread?
'93 Honda VT600CD Shadow VLX Deluxe

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Sev »

don't use armourall unless you want to figure out how to get asphault scratches outta your bike.

Sadly there isn't anything that I know of that would be safe to use on cycle tires. Someone else might know of something though.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

DustyJacket
Site Supporter - Platinum

#3 Unread post by DustyJacket »

A bit of topic, but don't use armorall on your seat either.

A friend has a very funny (to me) story about the time he used it on his seat.
Bikers Against Child Abuse - Kansas City Chapter
www.bacainternational.org

Bill and Pete do the Dragon's Tail at Deal's Gap:
www.dustyjacket.com/dragon/index.html

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

DustyJacket wrote:A bit of topic, but don't use armorall on your seat either.

When you are riding pinion on you buddies RD400 after his girlfriend Armorall;ed his saddle, you discover just how close and personal you can get. :laughing: :laughing:
Always ask why.

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

Get a good, stiff nylon brush... a scrub brush intended for washing floors as sold in any supermarket works for me...... and get at it. You can use a little dish soap if you want, but you don't need to, and I don't really like soap around my brakes and tires. Scrub the dodo outta 'em, don't be shy about it. :wink:

It's more work, and the tires will be flat black instead of glossy, but I prefer that. Shiny, glossy, chromy really don't do it for me.

If you do happen to like that, the flatness of the tire will help set off any gleam your wheels may have, if that helps any. :mrgreen:
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#6 Unread post by flynrider »

DustyJacket wrote:A bit of topic, but don't use armorall on your seat either.

My less-than-brilliant neighbor used armor-all on his tires AND seat after I'd carefully explained why it was a bad idea. He just couldn't stand to see his pretty bike (which he polished more than he rode) have dull tires.

He rode down the street and executed a wide u-turn (i.e. very little lean) and yelled to me that there was no problem. Then he rode past me to the other end of the street, tried a tighter u-turn and promptly lowsided. Being embarrassed, he quickly picked it up and restarted. Hoping to leave before anyone inquired about his problem, he goose the throttle, popped the clutch and promptly slid off the back of the seat. The bike wobbled for a few feet then fell over again. By the time I reached him, he was getting ready to start it again and attempt to ride back to his garage. I suggested that he'd probably done enough damage for one day, and that I'd help him push it home, where we could attempt to scrub off the tire lubricant.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Dichotomous
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#7 Unread post by Dichotomous »

I used simple green to try to find a tire leak, turns out it was in the valve, but after wiping off the tire completely and rinsing it with a little water, the tire looked gorgeous, wasnt slippery either after rinsing and drying
[img]http://forum.svrider.com/photoalbum/albums/userpics/19909/bike%20girl%20bannar.JPG[/img]
Theres just something about a blue bike....
Throttle on man, Throttle on....

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#8 Unread post by flynrider »

If you're going to use Simple Green on your bike, be extra thorough when rinsing it off. Bikes have a lot of aluminum and Simple Green is corrosive to aluminum. I've had good luck using Extreme Simple Green. It was developed for use on aircraft, which are mostly aluminum.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk