Tire change

Tower18CHI
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Tire change

#1 Unread post by Tower18CHI »

So apparently on my ride last night, I picked up one of the largest screw-looking things I've ever seen. I thought I heard a little "tick tick tick tick" as I was finishing the ride....grr :evil:

Anyway, I've never replaced a tire on a motorcycle before. Does the tire need replaced or just the tube? Also, will any tire place fix this for me, or do I have to take it to the motorcycle shop? The reason this is a big question for me is my motorcycle shop has a 6 week waiting list.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#2 Unread post by BuzZz »

If that shop has a 6 week waiting list to change/repair a tire, it's time to find another shop.

Is your tire tubeless or tubed? Most modern bikes (newer than say 20-25 years) run tubeless, and repairing is your call. I feel better with a sound tire under me, and wouldn't want a repaired tire unless it was a 'gotta get home/back to my own country' kinda emergency. The rim is what determines the type of tire, go with what your rim is built to accept.

If it is a tube type, then changing/fixing the tube is all that's necessary, as long as the tire carcass isn't torn or ripped up. Don't throw a tube into a tubeless tire, if you're considering that. It will build-up too much heat, and with no beadlocks, you will likely rip the valve stem out sooner or later.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

Tower18CHI
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by Tower18CHI »

I haven't checked specifically with the shop, but they had my bike for 6 weeks earlier this summer (not for a tire though).

It SHOULD be tubed, as it's a 1980 with original wheels and I'm pretty sure I checked once and it was...but I need to double check.

Don't I need special tools to mount and unmount the tire myself?

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#4 Unread post by BuzZz »

You will need tire irons or some other prybar-type device to force the tire bead over the rim. Real tire irons work best and leave less damage to the rim or the bead. Breaking the bead off it's seat on the rim may be the hardest part if it's been there awhile. They sell special clamps that do the job, or you can get creative with a vice... or a hammer.... or a car.... use your imagination.... :mrgreen:

Or just remove the whole rear wheel and take it to the shop. If you call ahead, you should be able to make arrangements to have them do it while you wait.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#5 Unread post by ofblong »

2x4's

(or in my case 2 pieces of rigid conduit)

make for decent (though not exact) tire alignment tools :D.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#6 Unread post by slimcolo »

Breaking bead is hardest part. I have used kickstand on another bike to do this. I haven't had much luck with clamp style breakers. Bead breakers are avail. at m,any bike and auto shops, the one I use is for a Ford Model T. Tyre irons are a must, longer ones give more leverage but the ones in tool kit are OK. Old tyres can be a "dog" to un mount. (especially Dunstops)With spokes check or replace rim rubber. Many spoked tyres are still tubed. Most tyres are directional. Make sure of proper fittment (front or rear) or universal. Everything else is pretty much the same as manually changing a tubed car tyre.
(removal,refitting,setting bead,balance)

There are special tubes designed for use in tubless tyres (not recommended use only as last resort), and many tyres are designed for tube or tubeless. Also do not use bias tube in a radial. Do not mix bias and radial on same bike.
SEE NO EVO
HEAR NO EVO
SPEAK NO EVO

and above all

RIDE NO EVO

Read my blog
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/BBS/viewtopic.php?t=22842