My mom dumped my bike :/ Need minor repair input.

Duffy
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

My mom dumped my bike :/ Need minor repair input.

#1 Unread post by Duffy »

My mom who got her license 8 months ago is up from Florida visiting. She hasn't been on a bike in all that time and was really looking forward to taking my bike for a spin. :? How could I tell her no. I consented. Truth be told, she didn't ask, she told me that she was going to ride it (if I had anything bigger than a 250, I wouldn't have let her) I told her to take it easy, to stay in 1st gear, get a feel for the play in the clutch, etc etc etc. She was doing fine, just going back and forth on a side street. Well, she started getting more confident and kept on going down the street further and further (not to mention faster, went up to 3rd gear :| ) Well, she was doing fine. Or so I thought. It was time to head back and since I was walking I told her I would meet her back at the house. Well, to the house the road is dirt (so is driveway) and I repeatedly told her take it easy on the dirt. Did she listen.....of course not :roll: So, as luck would have it, she tried to drive around a tree beside the driveway so the bike would be facing the road and the bikes back end skidding out from under her (lowsided?) and she went down. She is fine, felt real bad though, told her I didn't care, these things happen and was glad she wasn't hurt. The bike leaked gas...no biggie. Few scratches on the fairing...but that's plasic anyway, who cares. I'm concerned about the scratches on the motor though. They are deep scratches that took the paint (black paint) right off. I'm concerned about it rusting now. They are too insignificant (about a half inch long) to take it somewhere and pay to fix. And my experience with touch up paint is that the rust will form under the touch up and form a bubble look. What can I do to discourage rusting?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#2 Unread post by Shorts »

What bike is it?

You should be able to find some high heat black paint (preferably engline black paint) and dab it on the scratches to blend. Aluminum shouldn't rust away quickly. Just clean it and apply.

Duffy
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by Duffy »

K, thanks. I knew it was a metal of some sort, and thought all metal rusts pretty quick. Thought it was same material as the body of a car (or is it....I dunno). Okay, glad to know I don't have a real rusting issue here. Just a slight appearance one. I'm not too concerned about it (probably will be getting rid of the bike before it becomes one anyway) . But, if I let it get to me I'll use a black marker :wink: hehe jk.

It's a ninja 250

BusaEater
Veteran
Veteran

#4 Unread post by BusaEater »

Tell your mom the bike is totalled and you need her to buy you a new one.
"Stupid Hurts"

My Bikes:
'01 Honda RC51
'02 Honda CBR600 F4i stunt bike.

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#5 Unread post by MrShake »

If its aluminum, it can't rust... rust is iron oxide.. heheh... But alum can oxidize. But any online place or motorcycle shop in your area should have black engine paint you can use to touch up.

blues2cruise
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 16
My Motorcycle: 2000 Yamaha V-Star 1100

#6 Unread post by blues2cruise »

Take your bike to a shop for repairs and have your Mom pay for it.

She may feel bad....but it doesn't pay for repairs.

Texfire
Elite
Elite

#7 Unread post by Texfire »

May have to chalk this one up to experience. If your Mom dumps your bike then not much you can do. Charging her after all she went through for you... :roll:

Tex