Pay to fix, learn to fix, sell or junk?

VulcanMan
Rookie
Rookie

Pay to fix, learn to fix, sell or junk?

#1 Unread post by VulcanMan »

Hi all,

A few years ago I purchased my first bike, a '94 Kawasaki Vulcan 500. I rode it for about 6 months without issue until one day the bike would lose power as if there wasn't enough gas getting through, no matter how I cranked the throttle. Sometimes the bike would backfire and then be ok for a bit and then get me home, but I'd still be underpowered. This seemed to be an issue once the bike warmed up or on real hot days.

I took the bike to one guy and he did some things (it was over a year ago so I don't recall what, exactly, he said he did) but the issue was not fixed. I then took it into a Kawasaki dealer and they said something about the cam chain and tensioner probably needing a replacement. The cost from them was pretty high at the time and so I just took the bike home and garaged it because I was very busy with work. Now I am ready to do something about the bike again and I am really into the idea of fixing it myself.

I have many tools (although I know I will need more to work on the bike) and a Clymer manual. So my question to you gurus is should I pay to fix the bike? At the time the dealer, who I know is the most expensive guy to take it to, quoted $800 and this is my least favorite option. Should I learn on this bike and attempt to fix it myself? This has great appeal to me, but I only want to do this if there is a reasonable chance of success without paying more than the value of the bike in parts. I am all for learning and I am pretty mechanically inclined. I have not done anything but the most basic engine maintenance and I did change a starter once. But I feel confident that I can do the job. Or should I sell the bike off for parts or "as-is" cheap? Or should I just junk the thing because perhaps it's not worth it.

I'm in one of those classic "wife says to get rid of the bike" situations. But if I can spend a few weeks or a month learning and actually get the bike running again at a reasonable cost we both would be very happy! :D

Thanks in advance for your input!

Gummiente
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 03 Super Glide

#2 Unread post by Gummiente »

First of all, I suggest you join the VROC (Vulcan Riders and Owners Club) and sign up to their forum. Describe the bike's symptoms on there and someone will probably answer with a "been there, done that" suggestion. Based on what you've described, I don't think the cam chain and tensioner is the problem anyway. I'm thinking it's more likely to be an electrical issue such as a bad ignition coil.

As you haven't been wrenching on bikes for long, I do not recommend you try to do the cam chain replacement yourself (if it does turn out to be the problem, that is). Just 'cause you know how to stick a band-aid on a cut doesn't mean you're ready to tackle open heart surgery. :) It is a very complex job that will require special tools and skills and a Clymer manual just won't give you all the experience you'll need to tackle a job of this magnitude. Best to just eat the cost of a repair at the dealership.

But there's nothing stopping you from attempting to diagnose the problem yourself. A Clymer manual doesn't give you much info in the way of troubleshooting, it's more of a "remove and replace" kind of thing. This is where other Vulcan owners on VROC can be of assistance, as they can give you tips and pointers on what to look for and in some cases even give you instructions on how to do certain repairs. I wouldn't be surprised if the problem with your bike turns out to be something very simple and easy to correct.
:canada: Mike :gummiente:
It isn't WHAT you ride,
It's THAT you ride

MrShake
Legendary
Legendary

#3 Unread post by MrShake »

I think you should give up on the bike and give it to me! I'll be glad to take junk like that away!!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, If you are willing to get deep into it... changing a cam chain really isn't that bad. A clymer's probably isn't the best resource though.. Try to get the shop service manual for the bike. I would make SURE its the cam chain first. Try adjusting the tensioner (if it has one) and see if that fixes the problem... but it sounds like a fuel/spark issue as already mentioned.

VulcanMan
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by VulcanMan »

:lol: Mr Shake!

Thanks for the advice guys! I'll follow up on both of your suggestions and see how it goes.

dablade
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 2005 Yamaha FJR 1300, 2004 GL1800 ABS

#5 Unread post by dablade »

Look into the air filter side of the carburetors while running the engine. The venturis are vacuum operated, and should open up when twisting the throttle with the engine running. You may find one that does not operate. I had to change one on mine before I sold it. Symptoms were backfire, and lack of power. Cost of one venturi was about $92.00. Maybe this will help. Something to check, anyhow.
Regards,
Perry