Battery question??

sportbikechic
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Battery question??

#1 Unread post by sportbikechic »

I need to get a new battery for my '05 VFR800 and not sure if it matters which one to buy or where to buy it from? Local dealership runs $144.99, but I've seen them online anywhere from $75 to $185. Is there a big difference? Thanks...
Perception is not reality...

slimcolo
Legendary 1000
Legendary 1000

#2 Unread post by slimcolo »

Yeah the $75 is probably an lead acid type that needs acid (they ship them dry) and a drain hose your middle priced ones are sealed lead acid the higher priced ones are most likely AGM (absorbed glass mat) or gel. These last twotypes are best (lasting 1-1/2 to 2 times as long)but usually very expensive. there are also dry cel batteries for bikes. Also off brands can be cheaper (1/4 or 1/2) than name brands but buyer beware they may not last as long, but again they might, and often have a limited or NO warranty.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#3 Unread post by flynrider »

I get my lead/acid motorcycle batteries at K-Mart. They usually are a good deal and the same battery that the dealer charges double for. Might be worth a look. They usually have a fitment guide by the batteries, just incase you don't already know the number you're looking for.

I bought a battery there for my CB750 about 6 months ago. It was $50.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

Check your Yellow Pages. There should be at least one battery warehouse in Portland where you will pay just a little over the wholesale price. Find them and you're golden.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

sportbikechic
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by sportbikechic »

thanks for your help... i found a website that has AGM batteries ranging from $70-$90. www.ebatteriestogo.com with free shipping.
Perception is not reality...