flw
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 8
My Motorcycle: '98 Honda Goldwing GL1500se

WD40 on a chain driven motorcycle?

#1 Unread post by flw »

I saw a utube video on maintaining a bike and the guy used a can of something that looked just like WD40. I thought on current motorcycle chains, WD40 was not to be used unless cleaning and then using the correct chain oil or wax.

Is WD40 ok to use and if so do you need to reapply it more often?

Thanks for clarifying this, they guy never said what he used but it sure looked like WD40.
Goldwing 1500se '98
VN500 LTD '07 Sold

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum

#2 Unread post by Skier »

WD-40 is fine for a cleaner. It's not a lubricant, though, so hit the chain with some manufacturer-recommend chain lube after cleaning.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#3 Unread post by ofblong »

gear lube (which can be used as an o-ring chain lubrication) comes in a can.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#4 Unread post by flynrider »

Gear oil (typically 80 or 90 weight oil) is suitable for standard chains, but is waaay to heavy for O-ring chains (unless you just enjoy cleaning them). Light oil or chain wax is ideal for O-ring chains.

I wouldn't use WD-40 as it is primarily a solvent. You want a lube instead. I've been using DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube for several years. Available at most hardware stores for a lot less than chain lube.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Skier

#5 Unread post by Skier »

flynrider wrote:Gear oil (typically 80 or 90 weight oil) is suitable for standard chains, but is waaay to heavy for O-ring chains (unless you just enjoy cleaning them). Light oil or chain wax is ideal for O-ring chains.

I wouldn't use WD-40 as it is primarily a solvent. You want a lube instead. I've been using DuPont Silicone/Teflon lube for several years. Available at most hardware stores for a lot less than chain lube.
My Honda's owner's manual says to use 80W-90 for its O-ring chain.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#6 Unread post by flynrider »

Skier wrote: My Honda's owner's manual says to use 80W-90 for its O-ring chain.
So does mine. Over the years I've found it to be overkill. The lighter O-ring specific lubes and chain waxes were developed to keep the O-rings pliable and the links free of rust, without the sticky mess associated with the heavier lubes.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Sev »

WD40 will dry out the o-rings. I'd keep the stuff off the chain completely. Clean with high flashpoint solvent (kerosine).

Lubricate with a good spray on chain wax or lube. They're better formulated to stick to the chain then gear oil.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]

RocketGirl
Elite
Elite
Sex: Female
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Virago 250

WD40 and Del-Rey Lube

#8 Unread post by RocketGirl »

Second year with a chain drive.

After reading postings and talking to a few ATV-ers, I've made the switch to WD40 for cleaning my chain and I have to say that I'm very satisfied with the results. It takes me less time to clean the chain and I only use a single shop rag followed up with a shop towel to wipe it down.

Now, I've also switched lube products as well. I didn't like the wax type and now use Del-Rey. We were at the beach this weekend and riding in some very windy conditions and sandy road surfaces. I didn't see one bit of sand on my chain when we got home. I haven't gotten back into the daily routine of commuting yet, but I'm hoping that this new lube will be less apt to collect those small particles of sand that I picked up last year. :D

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#9 Unread post by HYPERR »

flynrider wrote:
Skier wrote: My Honda's owner's manual says to use 80W-90 for its O-ring chain.
So does mine. Over the years I've found it to be overkill. The lighter O-ring specific lubes and chain waxes were developed to keep the O-rings pliable and the links free of rust, without the sticky mess associated with the heavier lubes.
I used gear lube briefly on my VFR800 as that is what the owner's manual said as well. I stopped as it just made a horrible mess on the swigarm and the bike.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Skier

#10 Unread post by Skier »

My bike and swingarm gets dirty from riding so I don't worry about a little more dirt. :)