So, who uses non-motorcycle oil in their bikes?

Skier
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male

So, who uses non-motorcycle oil in their bikes?

#1 Unread post by Skier »

Poking through Dan's Motorcycle repair guide, I've found some interesting ideas on oil for bikes - using the much, much cheaper car oil. According to the page, you can use some kinds of oil just fine. And the local WalMart has just the ticket - their brand, SuperTech, 10W-40 and 20W-40 oils without the energy conservation label or the API starburst. At less than a buck a quart, it doesn't seem like a bad deal at all. I've done some searching around the net and have found others say motorcycle oils are just a cash cow for most companies.

A link and excerpt:

http://www.xs11.com/stories/mcnoil94.htm says:
It could appear from this data, then, that there is no validity to the constantly-used argument that motorcycle-specific oils provide superior lubrication to automotive oils when used in a motorcycle. If the viscosity drop is the only criterion, then there is certainly no reason to spend the extra money on oil specifically designed for motorcycles. There does, however, appear to be a legitimate argument for using synthetic and synthetic-blend oils over the petroleum based products.
So what are your thoughts on this? Even going with an oil like Castrol GTX at just under $2 a quart would be much better than the $4.10 a quart I pay out the nose for Yamalube on my bike. I think I might just pick up a few quarts of Castrol and give it a shot next oil change.
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

Coach
Veteran
Veteran

#2 Unread post by Coach »

My old bike got the Walmart brand you mentioned every oil change. Never noticed any issues at all.

muz
Veteran
Veteran

#3 Unread post by muz »

On the advice of my experienced bike mechanic, I'm on Castrol GTX 20W50 car oil, works like a damn. CAD$2.59/litre at Canadian tire. Just make sure you change it every 3000km or so. Car oil might get broken down a bit faster in a motorcycle by the transmission and wet clutch. but unless you're a racer or extremely hard on your motorbike, I doubt it matters much.

my .02
81 CB900
Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul

Skier

#4 Unread post by Skier »

Heck, changing the oil every 1000 miles, with about 3 quarts, would run me about 3 dollars if I don't replace the filter and $9 if I replace the filter with a Wix and change the oil. Versus running my oil for about 1500 miles or so (all the riding I can get in before the season changes, stupid work/school!) on $4/quart oil, which means $12 in oil, $18 total if I replace the filter.

So, it would cost me 0.9 cents a mile to run SuperTech oil and a Wix filter and 1.2 cents to run Yamalube ($9/1000 and $18/1500).

Looks like I'm off to WalMart for my next oil change. :)
[url=http://www.motoblag.com/blag/]Practicing the dark and forgotten art of using turn signals since '98.[/url]

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

Oil is oil. It really don't care how many wheels it is riding on. The additive package each oil contains is what counts. Friction modifiers are not what you want in a wet-clutch machine. Other than that, use a decent quality oil (car, truck, bike, olive...whatever :wink: ) and CHANGE IT when required, or before. Always change the filter at the same time.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#6 Unread post by TechTMW »

I use Mobil 1 car oil.
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

Quick 350
Veteran
Veteran

cheap oil is still oil

#7 Unread post by Quick 350 »

I use the Wal-Mart super-tech 20w-50 in all my bike
as a bonus they also carry my filter for $1.25
"You've Got To Love The Marts"

rwp
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by rwp »

I get all my oil from Wal-mart. Unfortunately they don't carry my filters.
GSX1216F

3D02
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by 3D02 »

And you guys don't notice any difference in the way the bike shifts when switching oil? Mine seems to shift better with red cap Mobil 1. I've also used Mobil Delvac 15W-40 with no problems.

Karl

BuzZz
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#10 Unread post by BuzZz »

I've always found the best shift-improving tactic was to change the oil at 1500-2000 miles, no matter what kind of oil is. Both oils you mentioned are good products.
No Witnesses.... :shifty: