PresX
Regular
Regular
Sex: Male

Stupid insurance...

#1 Unread post by PresX »

Hi all,

This kind of fits here...

My bike (1985 honda shadow) was knocked over in a parking lot and the insurance company says that the inability to steer and ride safely since is due to a maintenance issue. They told me that a dry spot on the bearing was uncovered by the accident and they would only cover the cosmetic damage.

Does this seem right to anyone? Could falling over 'expose a dry spot' in the bearing that hadn't presented any issue prior?

Anyway... It's basically winter here so there's not too much more riding to be done and I was wondering if in your travels you had come across a book similar to Mark Zimmerman's Essential guide to motorcycle maintenance for cars? Specifically for volkswagens (GTI) if possible.

Thanks for reading my novel :)
"There is only one basic human right, and that is the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty: the duty to take the consequences."
- PJ O'Rourke

First bike: 1985 Honda VT500C Shadow

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Wait I don't get it.

The insurance company thinks that the bike can't be ridden safely? Why do they think that?

The only way a tipover would make a bad bearing get worse is if it sat sideways for days. and a bad bearing isn't a safety issue until long after the noise of the bearing *going* bad has become very loud and noticable.

Sounds like BS to me, like somebod doesn't know what they're talking about.

Besides...the cosmetics on the old 500 are likely to add up to a pretty penny to replace, they'll likely try to total it....
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Nah they wouldn't have looked for a bearing problem after a parking lot tipover... Someone told someone to look deeper into something.
Definitely something fishy about this story...
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#4 Unread post by Johnj »

PresX wrote: the inability to steer
What exactly do you mean by that? Pictures would help.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

ChriswithaHawk
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Stupid insurance...

#5 Unread post by ChriswithaHawk »

Who do you have for an insurance company? I would complain and then change insurance companies. Sounds like a crock
If firearms are outlawed, then only outlaws will have firearms