Cruiser Saddle bags & bracket help!!!!!!!

David J
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Cruiser Saddle bags & bracket help!!!!!!!

#1 Unread post by David J »

Hi, I've (just ) got a Yammy XVS 250 Dragstar (04), I was searching the net for a luggage rack so I could carry my 2 mtr chain around with me which weights 9.78 kilos but to my surprise ALL the racks stated 5 kilo max weight, so after all that searching I've decided it was a waste of time so now I'm thinking along the lines of saddle bags :frusty: , I don't want to get trapped into bying the bars then find I have to buy there sadlle bags as others wont fit then be charged a fortune, how does it work?

Please don't suggest (as other have) carrying it around my shoulders as at that weight after a while it'll get too heavy & the ride won't be comfy & I consider it too dangerous if you come off.

What stops the saddle bags from swinging out as you turn? Do you have to buy the bars?

Do the bars stop the bags from hitting the wheel & swinging out? :confused2:

As you've guest I'm new to biking! :oops:
Davie J

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

Re: Cruiser Saddle bags & bracket help!!!!!!!

#2 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Davie you pretty much got it. The bars for the saddlebags do both: they stop the bags from moving out away from the bike and more importantly, they keep the bags from rubbing on the wheel and shocks, and from getting pulled up under the rear wheel. (You just tie a cord from the bag to the bar to keep it from swinging out.)

Have you considered just using a good nylon bag and bungee-ing your cargo to the rear seat? That would likely do you just fine.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

jaskc78
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 6
My Motorcycle: N/A

#3 Unread post by jaskc78 »

be sure you check the weight ratings on the saddlebags, too. 9.78kg is about 21.5 lbs so you'd be over the weight rating for a lot of stock saddlebags i think.
"Dude, women are like Vol-Tron. The more you can hook up the better it gets!" --RvB
Currently waiting on a new hip before I can get a new bike.

dean owens
Legendary 500
Legendary 500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: '06 Yamaha Fz6

#4 Unread post by dean owens »

could you get a lighter weight chain? that's pretty heavy.
Current: 2006 Yamaha FZ6 (Faster Blue)

Previous: 1983 Honda GL650 Interstate (given back to previous owner)

Project: 1980 CX500 Custom - making a cafe racer