maintenence free battery to acid

wonderjana
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

maintenence free battery to acid

#1 Unread post by wonderjana »

I'm replacing my battery for the first time and the original for the bike is maintenence free. The parts dept. at motorcycle shop sold me a standard (acid) battery and said that was what was listed for my bike, (hyosung gv250 aquila). I am dying to charge it so I can ride tomorrow, but need to know if you can interchange these two types of batteries?

Thanks in advance
wonderjana
Jana

mgdavis
Legendary 750
Legendary 750

Re: maintenence free battery to acid

#2 Unread post by mgdavis »

Yep, 12v is 12v.
'07 Suzuki V-Strom DL650
An armed man is a citizen, an unarmed man is a subject.
Molon Labe!!!

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#3 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

A maintenance free batter is generally a "gel" battery, you never need to open the cells and check the fluid levels of each chamber. The one you got, you'll have to do that with. BOTH work the same, the non-maintenance free ones are more money and less hassle.

The "gel" battery is the next step in battery technology, the other the good ol' standby.

If you stick with the acid one, get yourself

- a bottle of deionized water
- eye protection (lab goggles)
- rubber gloves
- small flashlight
- eye dropper (or straw)
- paper towels, screw driver, work bench, etc

You'll need to check the levels of each cell every year by removing the battery and using a small flashlight shine it from the back of the battery threw the battery and see where they are. If low you'll unscrew each cell cap and top up each cell with deionized water as needed.

OR forget all the work and get yourself a maintenance free battery.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

wonderjana
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by wonderjana »

Thanks for the help on this one! It rained like crazy yesterday so couldn't take her out anyway, now I'm just gonna charge her up and learn to check the levels once a year!
Jana

erbgottie
Legendary
Legendary
Years Riding: 7
My Motorcycle: 2003 honda RVT1000R

#5 Unread post by erbgottie »

Also, GEL batteries (spill free) can be put in sideways or at awkward angles , the one on my RC is put in tilted a bit. A lot of people will relocate their batteries with a gel one since it can be put in different ways.
2006 Suzuki SV650S
2003 Honda RC51

PeterTrocewicz
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by PeterTrocewicz »

Did they look it up in an aftermarket catalogue? It is not unknown for those to contain errors. However, as long as it sits properly in the battery holder, the amp/hour rating is the same and the posts are in the same spot so that the cables hook up properly, it will work.this type of battery does need to set upright, or acid will trickle out.
I don't want a pickle, I just wanna ride on my motorsickle