Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha Seca 750

Cleaning Carbs XJ750

#1 Unread post by Slow Ride »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (76.66 KiB) Viewed 16544 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (115.33 KiB) Viewed 16544 times
Today I cleaned the carbs on my 1982 Yamaha XJ750. It had been starting harder and harder the past 2 summers and I hadnt even tried starting it this summer and its already the end of July. So getting the carbs off the bike was not easy but I kept wiggling and tugging and finally got then to pop free. I was pleased at how easy it was to disconnect the choke and throttle cables. So I followed a real good video on Youtube on how to clean the carbs just to be safe. I have taken apart and cleaned alot of carbs over the years starting back in the 70s with snowmobiles. I wasnt surprised to see how gummed, gooped and gobbed my carbs were. The stinking gas they are selling us these days should be a crime. The bowls, needle and seats were the worst. 2 of the needles were actually glued in and I had to pull them out with a pliers. The main jets werent much better. So I used my big stainless steel carb cleaning pan and poured a couple of inches of new gasoline in it. I soaked all the needles, bowls, screws et etc in that gasoline as I took them off the carbs. I also removed the choke needles and the other little screw in jet, I think they called it the idler. So after a good soaking I started the reassembly process. I has 2 new cans of carb cleaner and one can of DIET MOUNTAIN DEW because you dont want to get thirsty in the middle of a carb job. I squirted all parts, holes, needles as I reassembled and gave the carbs a real good bath inside and out. Tomorrow I will put the carbs back on the bike and hopefully report back here with good news of a sweet running 750 (and easy starting)[img][img][img][/img][/img][/img]

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Cleaning Carbs XJ750

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Good example of why you should use gas stabilizer and drain the carbs for storage?
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E

Slow Ride
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 1981 Yamaha Seca 750

#3 Unread post by Slow Ride »

Ron I will definately use a stabilizer and drain the bowls this fall.
Do you use sea foam or stabil or are there better products
Coming out?

Robfitzpatrick97
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1982 Yamaha xj750 maxim

#4 Unread post by Robfitzpatrick97 »

Hey guys I was wondering if either of you could tell me where the drain screw is on these carburetors, I have the 82 maxim 750, I'm fairly certain the carbs on them are the same as this bike. Thanks