Rusting exhaust - how to cure and prevent?

Gyti
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: 2012 HD XL1200C

Rusting exhaust - how to cure and prevent?

#1 Unread post by Gyti »

My exhaust(s) have been catching quite some rust lately. I live in an area with much rain and cold, moist winters, which probably accelerates the deteriation.

- What's the best way to remove the rust?
Pressured air driven metal-brush?
Seems good for the stock-exhaust, but on the LeoVince I need something that won't mess up the cool finish on it.

- How do I protect the metal from rusting when I've removed the old rust? Can anybody recommend some kickass paint that truly works? Most paints can't handle the heat.

1. A matte black color that matches the original exhaust. A shining deep black color would look pretty silly.

2. A clear coat for my LeoVince ZX exhaust.

Thanks a lot.
Last edited by Gyti on Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

Re: Rusting exhaust - how to cure and prevent?

#2 Unread post by pchast »

rustoleum Hi-Heat paint, at any auto parts store,
is made for headers and exhaust.

Read the manufacturer's data sheet.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

brajon
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 3
My Motorcycle: Honda

#3 Unread post by brajon »

Use SOS pad or steel wool to remove the rust. Then clean it thoroughly. Depending on your budget, you can have it powder coated or just use a high-temp paint.

steve144
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: honda 70 2015

#4 Unread post by steve144 »

To remove rust from your exhaust, you can use a pressured air-driven metal brush. However, you may need a gentler method for an exhaust to preserve its finish. As for protecting the metal from future rusting, you can use a rust converter like Metal Rescue Rust Remover and then apply a heat-resistant paint like a matte black color that matches the original exhaust or a clear coat.

oilumiun12
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: 2022/honda

#5 Unread post by oilumiun12 »

steve144 wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 8:32 am To remove rust from your exhaust, you can use a pressured air-driven metal brush. However, you may need a gentler method for an exhaust to preserve its finish. As for protecting the metal from future rusting, you can use a rust converter like Metal Rescue Rust Remover and then apply a heat-resistant paint like a matte black color that matches the original exhaust or a clear coat. Fnaf
Hello, can you share the facilities that carry out this measure professionally and reputablely?