Ragnarok
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 2
My Motorcycle: yamaha v-star 650 classic

interesting issue

#1 Unread post by Ragnarok »

Hello, I am new to this forum. I joined looking for some answers for my ride.
its a Yamaha v-star 650 classic I purchased in 2017 right before I started riding. Well taken care of but it sat for awhile, once I started riding it kept having high RPM issues clutch failure and a leaky fuel switch.
After contacting my local Yamaha dealer and explaining problem they had no answer other than to change the oil and see if it did anything. ((it did))
after the oil change the high RPM and clutch failure stopped for a year, it started again about the same time I had taken it to be serviced the year before.
Are these common to this make of motorcycle or is there something I should replace as soon as possible?
Any help would be extremely helpful and much appreciated

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: interesting issue

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

My first guess is it is an o-ring, rubber seal gone dry. I would check to see where the "shifter shaft" goes into the side cover and see if there is any oil/wetness around that area. I had it happen to a Suzuki I owned a dogs age ago.

With the "leaky fuel switch", is your 2017 have a fuel petcock? Or is this something else it is leaking from?

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: interesting issue

#3 Unread post by ZooTech »

Dunno about your fuel leak, that could be an issue with the fuel line or petcock, but your clutch slippage is probably a poorly adjusted clutch. I find badly adjusted clutches coming right out of the dealership on new bikes, either lack of experience or lack of concern on the part of the tech. At what point in the lever travel does the clutch engage?