Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 25
My Motorcycle: 2005 Exotic Punisher

Gears not engaging

#1 Unread post by Punisher »

Hello all,
So I have a 2005 custom Chopper. The bike has never given me much issues. i took it to service and had an oil change and had the clutch adjusted because putting the bike into Neutral was getting harder but other than that the bike is perfect. I took it out for a ride the other day after the service, was stopped a red light, tried to put it in 1st gear and nothing. The foot shifter will engage it into gear but when in gear the bike just rolls. I tried upshifting with the bike off and ever single gear is in neutral, the gears won't engage? I'm baffled as to why this happened, When I do engage the gears, even though they won't engage and it feels like it is in neutral i do hear a grinding noise when I role the bike. Does anyone have any knowledge of what might have happened. I don't necessarily want to blame the mechanic just because they adjusted the clutch.
Thanks in advance

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Gears not engaging

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Custom chopper...so, what...Big Dog? Is it Harley based? S&S? Have you inspected the primary? Did the belt/chain come off? Is your clutch no longer disengaging (hung up)? Is it hydraulic or cable operated?

clemons985
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
My Motorcycle: ninja

#3 Unread post by clemons985 »

The first culprit to suspect when your vehicle refuses to go into gear is low transmission fluid. Perhaps your fluid is leaking or low, and that may cause your car problems having a smooth gear transmission. ... You should be looking out for the level, smell and color of the fluid. If little, try adding some liquid.

bcfbgfgfdg545
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: honda

#4 Unread post by bcfbgfgfdg545 »

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you're having with your custom chopper. It's frustrating when things seem to be working perfectly fine and then suddenly they're not. Based on the symptoms you're describing, it sounds like there may be an issue with the transmission or clutch.

It's possible that the clutch adjustment that was made during the service may have caused the problem. However, it's also possible that this is just a coincidence and the issue is unrelated to the recent service. Without further information or a hands-on inspection, it's hard to say for sure what the cause of the problem might be.

It's always best to have a professional mechanic take a look at your bike when you're experiencing issues like this. They will be able to diagnose the problem and recommend the necessary repairs. It's understandable that you don't want to blame the mechanic who performed the recent service, but it's also important to get to the root of the problem so that it can be fixed properly. motorcycle helmets with bluetooth

I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck in getting your bike back up and running smoothly.
Last edited by bcfbgfgfdg545 on Tue May 02, 2023 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bcfbgfgfdg545
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: honda

#5 Unread post by bcfbgfgfdg545 »

Thnaks for sharing