Sidecar5
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: XV250

Change XV250 front fork oil

#1 Unread post by Sidecar5 »

My wife has a 2010 XV250 that seems it would benefit from heavier front fork oil but I can't see any drain screws to drain and replace the current oil. Can anyone help?

ZooTech
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
Years Riding: 18
My Motorcycle: Nomad / Ninja 500 / VLX Bobber / C3 / VS

Re: Change XV250 front fork oil

#2 Unread post by ZooTech »

Lot of bikes aren't equipped with drain screws. You'll need to remove the forks are drain them upside down, or by removing the 6mm allen in the bottom of each.

viccarcel09
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: KTM

#3 Unread post by viccarcel09 »

I understand your concern about the front fork oil in your wife's 2010 XV250. To drain and replace the oil, you'll need to follow these steps:

1. Start by raising the front wheel off the ground using a motorcycle stand or similar support.
2. Locate the fork tubes on both sides of the front wheel.
3. Look for a bolt or screw near the bottom of each fork tube. This is the drain screw.
4. Use a suitable tool, such as a hex key or socket wrench, to loosen and remove the drain screws.
5. Allow the old fork oil to drain completely. You may need to pump the forks up and down gently to ensure all the oil is expelled.
6. Once the old oil is drained, reinsert the drain screws and tighten them securely.
7. Now, you can refill the forks with the new, heavier fork oil. Consult your owner's manual or a trusted mechanic for the recommended oil weight and quantity.
8. Use a funnel or syringe to carefully pour the new oil into each fork tube.
9. After filling the forks, reinstall the fork caps or any other components that were removed during the process.
10. Finally, lower the front wheel back onto the ground and test the suspension to ensure it is functioning properly.

Remember, if you're not confident in performing this task yourself, it's always best to consult a professional motorcycle mechanic for assistance.

orborneee
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Female
My Motorcycle: honda

#4 Unread post by orborneee »

Use a funnel or syringe to carefully pour the new oil into each fork tube. You can see specific instructions on YouTube

Super Mario