Turn Signal Problems

OoJRod06oO
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male

Turn Signal Problems

#1 Unread post by OoJRod06oO »

I have a 2001 Kawasaki Eliminator 125 and the turn signal won't work on it. I've checked all the bulbs which look good, I checked the button and it looks good, and I tried to follow the wiring from the button but it goes into one main string with all the other wires and I can't find where they come back out.

None of the signals work and the indicator on the tank doesn't light up either. Does any one know what the problem could be or does anyone know the wiring setup of the bike so I could check the rest of the wiring? Thanks for the help.

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 2005 BMW R1200GS

#2 Unread post by TechTMW »

Two options.

1. Your ground connection for the signals is disconnected, or you ahve a break in the wire... You will need a wiring diagram to trace these wires to find out where the ground point is, and which wires you should test for continuity. (Get a shop manual) You may have to remove body work and/or the gas tank to get to them. You will also need a multimeter. If you haven't got a multimeter or a shop manual, it's probably best to take the bike in to get fixed.

2. Your blinker relay is shot. Get a new one at the Kawasaki dealership!

You can just skip option 1 and go directly to option 2, but if the relay isn't the problem, I bet you'll be pissed at yourself for spending the money!
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”
- Soren Kierkegaard (19th century Danish philosopher)

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#3 Unread post by 9000white »

what about the fuse???
dr bob

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#4 Unread post by TechTMW »

Niiiiice. Good Catch Dr. Bob. :shock:
“People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.”

OoJRod06oO
Veteran
Veteran

#5 Unread post by OoJRod06oO »

I thought it might be the fuse too but I can't follow the wiring enough to find the fuse. Any one know where that might be located?

If the fuse isn't it, looks like I'm going with TechTMW's idea and taking it somewhere.

9000white
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#6 Unread post by 9000white »

if nobody on here knows where the fuse panel is call a kawasaki dealer tomorrow and ask the service department where it is.
dr bob

TechTMW
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#7 Unread post by TechTMW »

the location of the Fuse box should be in the owners manual.

OoJRod06oO
Veteran
Veteran

#8 Unread post by OoJRod06oO »

I tried to find the fuse again so I checked the owners manual but according to that, the bike only has a few fuses and they've all checked out.

I think I may have found the problem though. I found a wiring schematic at BikeBandit.com (Here) and I found the turn signal relay assembly (Part 27002 on the site) so I decided to check it on my bike. When I found it on my bike (atleast I think I found the right part) it had a yellowish jelly like substance on it. Does this probably mean its shot?

I don't even know for sure if I found the right part. It's a small black box (about 1"x1" or maybe a little bigger) with a wiring harness with 4 wires going into it and the whole thing had a rubber covering around it (the yellow substance was found on the inside of this rubber so I'm pretty sure it came from this part). Does this sound like the right thing?

I'm going to go test for continuity between the switch and this part to make sure right now, but I just wanted to check if I was on the right track.

Big B
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum

#9 Unread post by Big B »

i'm pretty sure the yellowish jelly is dielectric grease. it's supposed to be there (maintains a good connection by keeping crap out)

of course i could be having a brain fart right now. there's really no telling anymore :D
Come join the super cool fun fun brand new fresh scented Triumph Usergroup!
Fun for the whole Family!

OoJRod06oO
Veteran
Veteran

#10 Unread post by OoJRod06oO »

The wires from the switch to the relay (if thats what it is) have pretty good continuity, one wire had about 8 ohms, the rest had 2-3 so I thinks thats ok, right? Or is 8 ohms too much resistance to work properly? I'm not too good with this electrical stuff.

Oh, and good to know about the yellow gel. Thanks for all the help you guys have been.