Bike stalls even with throttle opened?

HungPower
Regular
Regular

Bike stalls even with throttle opened?

#1 Unread post by HungPower »

Now don't think I'm just stalling the bike and sux at finding the friction point cuz then I wouldn't make a post abotu this loll. Well, I ride my 2003 Ninja 250 and it works fine the entire day. So later tonight, after getting out of work, I hop onto my bike again and I start it up with the choke slightly down cuz it was a lil chilly. Well I'm riding and I get home in front of my gate and I leave it in neutral with the stand down to get off the bike and to open the gate. Then, when I try to kick it into first gear and get the thing started, it just stalls right there on me. Now at first, I though tto myself, ok maybe it was just me and I didn't give it enuff gas so I turned the bike on with the clutch held down and tried again. Again, it stalls on me. Now I'm thinking, ok what the heck? I turn the bike off then back on and leave it in neutral, then I try again in first gear with the throttle revving rather loudly and it still shuts off. Then I just give up and roll the bike in on neutral. Now even though this is a vague description of what actually went on, anyone have any idea as to why this might occur? It'd really mean a lot to me if anyone can help figure this out =\

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

#2 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Did you leave the kickstand down?
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

HungPower
Regular
Regular

#3 Unread post by HungPower »

No I made sure it was up. I'm gonna head off to sleep but I'll be reading in the morning before work.

Shorts
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#4 Unread post by Shorts »

fireguzzi wrote:Did you leave the kickstand down?

+1 If you left it down, it'll kill it like you described.

If that wasn't it, time to get ready to battle gremlins.

Edit: posted before I got mine up.

I don't know how this would have gotten messed with, but check the clutch safety switch and wires/connection.

HungPower
Regular
Regular

#5 Unread post by HungPower »

Just got up and gonna go give it a spin for work, will be back in 13 hours =(

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#6 Unread post by flynrider »

Check your kickstand switch. Even though you are putting the kickstand up, it's possible that it's not making good contact with the microswitch, or possibly you have a wire to the switch that has come loose.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk

HungPower
Regular
Regular

#7 Unread post by HungPower »

Oh, I didn't know there was a kickstand switch... I didn't take the motorcycle this morning cuz it started raining. I'll take it tomororw morning if it's nice outside. I'll see how the baby works. Thnx for your help. Oh but also, even if the kickstand wasn't fully up, would it stall just like that as a prevention? I thought it just doesn't let you go up in gears past the first one =\

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#8 Unread post by jonnythan »

HungPower wrote:Oh, I didn't know there was a kickstand switch... I didn't take the motorcycle this morning cuz it started raining. I'll take it tomororw morning if it's nice outside. I'll see how the baby works. Thnx for your help. Oh but also, even if the kickstand wasn't fully up, would it stall just like that as a prevention? I thought it just doesn't let you go up in gears past the first one =\
My bike (87 Virago 535) immediately stalls out when the engine is on, the clutch lever is in, the kickstand is down, and I shift into first gear.

In other words, the engine won't run at all when these two conditions are met:

1) The kickstand is down
2) The transmission is in first gear (regardless of clutch position)
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

HungPower
Regular
Regular

#9 Unread post by HungPower »

Oh i c. Well my Ninja can start in first gear as long as I hold the clutch down but that kickstand thing I definately have to check it out. Maybe a quick glance at that dusty old manual might help me out. This morning is a nice morning so let me give it a spin and I'll let ya know in 13 hours ^_^.

flynrider
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: '93 Honda Nighthawk 750

#10 Unread post by flynrider »

HungPower wrote:Oh i c. Well my Ninja can start in first gear as long as I hold the clutch down but that kickstand thing I definately have to check it out. Maybe a quick glance at that dusty old manual might help me out. This morning is a nice morning so let me give it a spin and I'll let ya know in 13 hours ^_^.
Most bikes can start in gear, but not if the kickstand is down (or the kickstand switch is malfunctioning). On my bike, the kickstand switch is interconnected with the neutral switch (that turns on the neutral light). Any time I try to put the transmission anywhere but neutral, AND the kickstand is down, the ignition will cut off. If the kickstand is not making good contact with the switch it runs fine in neutral, but it'll die whenever I try to put it in gear. That sounds a lot like your description of what's happening when you're at the gate.

Another symptom of a loose or bad kickstand switch is that the ingition inexplicably cuts off when going over bumps in the road.

Good luck with it.
Bikin' John
'93 Honda CB750 Nighthawk