Yamaha 535 CC Cam chain tension question

ray_hensley61
Rookie
Rookie

Yamaha 535 CC Cam chain tension question

#1 Unread post by ray_hensley61 »

Yamaha 535 CC Cam chain tension question? I'm new to the group and this is my first question.

I have a 96 Yamaha Virago 535cc that that I just bought to fix and resell. I have another bike that I ride so I'm getting this one ready to sell. Compression, spark, a carb. is okay I bought a new battery. Have it running good, but it begins making a rattleing noise in the bottom after being ridden at high speed for a few miles. Someone said it might be the cam chain hitting the top of the cover, that's what it sound like anyway. I can sut it down andcrank it back up and the noise disappears until I run it hard again.

How do I adjust the cam chain orthe timing chain as the case may be? It also "makes oil" by leaking gas into the crankcase if I shut it down and I don't shut off the fuel switch overnight.

I'd aqppreciate any replies that might shed some light.

PS what would be a good price for this bike?

Thanks,
Ray H.

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#2 Unread post by jonnythan »

Might want to ask this at ViragoTechForum.com
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

Gadjet
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 19
My Motorcycle: 2020 KTM 200 Duke

#3 Unread post by Gadjet »

if you have fuel leaking into the crankcase, then you have a problem with the carb. It is filling up and allowing fuel to flow into the cylinder, then past the rings and into the crankcase.

As for the cam chain, it should have an automatic tensioner, but the rubbing blocks may be worn out. You might want to check those to make sure that they aren't past the wear limits and that the chain isn't stretched beyond it's limit either.

Those are the two things that I would check
1983 Suzuki GS650GL (sold)
2005 Kawasaki KLR 650 (sold)
2020 KTM 200 Duke
IBA#20953
IG: @greenmanwc