dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

Electrical???

#1 Unread post by dr_bar »

My Valk is not running, I turn the key on, hit the starter button and the whole thing goes black. Lights go out, gauges go dark the works. The only thing that happens is a big click from the starter. If I push the starter button repeatedly, the motor sometimes cranks over a few times and then it's back to lights out...

Any ideas folks???
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#2 Unread post by ofblong »

check the wires to your stator motor/rectifier.
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#3 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Charge the battery, and if it starts up, then either your battery is bad or you possibly have a bad connection to battery/starter solenoid/ground. Bad connections happen WAY more often than you'd think, even to newer bikes. Depending on what condition you know the battery is in, you might check connections first.
If you charge the battery and it still won't start, you can try connecting the two terminals of the starter solenoid with an old screwdriver (don't touch anything but the handle of the screwdriver) and if the starter leaps into action, it's solenoid or ignition switch troubles.

Sounds to me like the battery has discharged, though. If it's not an old or cheap battery, you should find out why, don't just throw another battery at at.

Lastly, if the battery discharged completely, as in, you left an electrical doodad on your bike switched on, it may not take a charge, that battery would be ruined.

I like the Valk. I thought it was too big for me when I started riding, but now....now I sure wouldn't hesitate!
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

dr_bar
Site Supporter - Diamond
Site Supporter - Diamond
Years Riding: 44
My Motorcycle: 2007 Yamaha Royal Star Venture

#4 Unread post by dr_bar »

I'll have to start checking wires, because the battery is fine and fully charged, I've been keeping it on the tender as it's not insured and sitting unused.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Four wheels move the body.
Two wheels move the soul!"

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

Sounds very much like a wonky connection someplace. Time to start checking wire connections. Easy but tedious work, but it will probably fix the problem with minimal $$$ outlay.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

jonnythan
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#6 Unread post by jonnythan »

dr_bar wrote:I'll have to start checking wires, because the battery is fine and fully charged, I've been keeping it on the tender as it's not insured and sitting unused.
Are you sure the battery is good? Bad batteries can show 12-13 volts with no load just fine. Check the voltage across the battery terminals while you hold Start.
[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/jonnythan/sets/]Flickr.[/url]

ofblong
Legendary 2500
Legendary 2500
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 1996 Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX

#7 Unread post by ofblong »

jonnythan wrote:
dr_bar wrote:I'll have to start checking wires, because the battery is fine and fully charged, I've been keeping it on the tender as it's not insured and sitting unused.
Are you sure the battery is good? Bad batteries can show 12-13 volts with no load just fine. Check the voltage across the battery terminals while you hold Start.
I just had this problem with a BRAND new battery and it was broken wires going to the stator motor. they rubbed on the frame and finally broke open. Although since its most likely an acid battery you may have to fill it with distilled water....
96' Honda Shadow Deluxe VLX
Dream bike: Ducati Multistrada 1100S
[img]http://hdbits.org/pic/smilies/hdlove.gif[/img]

Sev
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#8 Unread post by Sev »

This has happened to me twice.

First time the negative connection had worked loose on the battery. The second time it was the positive.

You need to make sure to really crank down on those connectors.
Of course I'm generalizing from a single example here, but everyone does that. At least I do.

[url=http://sirac-sev.blogspot.com/][img]http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a227/Sevulturus/sig.jpg[/img][/url]