Best transport & how do you secure a bike when transport

Duffy
Elite
Elite
Sex: Male

Best transport & how do you secure a bike when transport

#1 Unread post by Duffy »

Okay, well I have set the day to pick up my bike (VALENTINES DAY :P ) but I am getting nervous on how to do it. My husband and I are planning on renting a box truck or something of the like and borrowing those ratchet type straps to secure it. I was wondering if anyone has any tips and advice on a better vehicle to use and where to put straps as so not to damage the bike. I can't ride the bike yet so I am unable to ride it up a ramp.
The big day is creeping closer and I am getting more and more anxious. But, I am hoping to alleviate some anxiety if I am prepared with a better way on how to handle the shipping aspect. Thanks in advance.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Most dealers transport for free or a reduced price (~$50).

Uhaul also rents motorcycle trailers which are much better at holding a bike than a box truck. Most of the holds in a box truck will break with the force needed to secure a bike well.

I'm sure many others will chime in soon :wink:
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

honda750
Elite
Elite

#3 Unread post by honda750 »

i have a 4x8 trailer i use when i haul all my bikes. if you go to buy a trailer, i agree with storysunfolding, those trailers with the rails are pretty sweet :shock: . i've also put them in vans and on pickups. if you have a hitch, i would definitely say first choice is a motorcycle trailer, second choice any trailer. if you don't have a hitch my next best choice would be van, then truck.

as for securing, unless you're hauling an old Indian, tie-down straps should be definitely capable of supporting the bike.

It's an awful idea to lay them down on a trailer or in a van or on the road for that matter :laughing: . I find that on the sidestand is the best (on the double stand they roll off if you make a quick stop) just make sure you tie it from four points of contact, and you don't tie to detachable/plastic parts on the bike.

it's generally pretty easy to haul these things. ive never had one fall going over 100 miles with a simple trailer and rope. good luck h
**1981 Honda cb750c** (for sale)
**1989 Kawasaki 454 LTD**

Duffy
Elite
Elite

#4 Unread post by Duffy »

This dealer is quite a distance away, besides they don't deliver. I have no way of towing a trailer. Paying a shipping company to do it is more $ and I rather keep the price down (cheapest was like 350.00 to ship :? ) I wouldn't mind the van idea but I don't think they come with ramps and do they even have tie down areas?

As for where to put the straps on bike, I guess I just have to make sure that it's on the metal parts so no paint gets rubbed off. okay, got it. I'm hoping people from the dealership will help with the loading and already know how to do it properly. It's not a bike dealership, it's a used car place that takes other types vehicles in as trades. So occasionally they get a bike or two.

I'm sure I'm just over reacting. I just can't wait to breathe a sigh of relief when everything is said and done and bike is safely stored in the garage. Actually I'll feel better after it's looked over and it IS as well maintained as claimed and there won't be any extra expenses to get it running smoothly.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#5 Unread post by storysunfolding »

Call tow services. Many of them will transport a bike.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars