Kickstand bypass problems

joker0125
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male

Kickstand bypass problems

#1 Unread post by joker0125 »

trying to bypass kickstand switch. The wires on the handlebars are gone and i cant figure out how to bypass it. Motorcycle comes on but wont go into gear. Please any help

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#2 Unread post by storysunfolding »

You're going to need to be more specific. Year make and model would be a good start.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Kickstand bypass problems

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

joker0125 wrote:trying to bypass kickstand switch. The wires on the handlebars are gone and i cant figure out how to bypass it. Motorcycle comes on but wont go into gear. Please any help
Do you mean the bike starts and runs, and you can't get it to go into gear?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

joker0125
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Kickstand bypass problems

#4 Unread post by joker0125 »

joker0125 wrote: 2003 Honda Spirit took the handlebars off and put different ones on. The wires got fried so i have to replace the wires and ive got everything hooked up but i cant figure out which wire goes from the handlebars to the kickstand. It will crank up but when i try to put it into gear it dies. I took the blinkers off also.

coffee_brake
Legendary 300
Legendary 300

#5 Unread post by coffee_brake »

Your Honda likely has a clutch safety shutoff, it prevents the rider from starting the bike in gear without the clutch handle pulled in. Most all bikes have them these days.

Under the left controls, look for two little wires coming up with all the wires that go up the left bar that should connect to two little prongs under the clutch lever assembly.

If that didn't make sense, I'll try again:

A bunch of wires come from under the tank and go up the left side handlebars. Among these wires, there should be two of them (probably little bitty ones) that have terminals on them. These two little terminals connect somewhere near the clutch lever, on my Honda it's two little prongs sticking off. They are a switch so that you have to have the clutch pulled in to get the bike into gear. If you don't have the wires connected, the motorcycle thinks that you are trying to start the bike in gear so it shuts off.
When you connect these wires, the bike knows when you have the clutch pulled in, so it will let you go into gear and ride off.

I'm not trying to talk down to you, but it's hard to visualize what it looks like so I dumbed it down. Just so you would be clear about finding the wires. It will only take 10 seconds to hook them up and you'll be on your way.
Jenn S.
AMA #658162
2005 Concours
2001 Vmax
1992 CB750

joker0125
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by joker0125 »

I know about the wires but those 2 wires and all the other wires got fried so thats the problem im having. Those 2 wires.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#7 Unread post by Johnj »

Do you have the manual?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#8 Unread post by Wrider »

So from what I've gathered here...
Bike starts.
Bike runs.
Bike decides to shut off no matter what the clutch does when you try to put it into gear.

There are two things I can think of off the top of my head...
1. The kickstand shutoff switch doesn't connect anymore. In which case you either need to get a new switch or connect the two wires that run down to the switch and know that the kickstand switch will no longer be functional.

2. Clutch is "seized" so to speak. Does it try to move when you put it into gear and stall the engine? If so, rev the engine high, pull in the clutch all the way, hold the front and rear brakes, and click it into gear. That should unstick the clutch.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha