Dead Bike after drop

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

Dead Bike after drop

#1 Unread post by StormRider »

On Friday I was pulling into a parking space at work, hit a patch of sand, and dumped my bike on its right side. I lifted it, rolled it into the space, and went into the office. In my frustration/embarrassment I left the key in the ignition in the "on" position and might have left the engine stop switch in the "on" position as well. Of course when I left the office at the end of the day the bike had no life. Headlight doesn't turn on and no response from the starter switch. The obvious problem is a dead battery. I borrowed a charger from a friend and left it charging for a few hours. The charger indicated "Charged" but there was still no response from the headlight or the starter switch. Then my owners manual reminded me to check the level of the battery fluid. It was low so I filled it and plugged the charger back in. Right away it was reading "charged". I left it charging for another 4 hours. When I tried again I still got nothing from the bike. Headlight won't turn on and no response from the starter switch.
I'm still thinking the battery is bad, but I'm not sure since the charger indicates "charged". So, is there something else I could have damaged in dropping the bike or leaving the ignition and engine stop switch on? I guess I could check the fuses, but what are the chances it's that? The bike is still at the office so I'm looking to troubleshoot before heading back there.
Suzuki S40, for what it's worth.

Thanks

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Dead Bike after drop

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

When you turn the key on does the dash light up? Do the headlight and taillight come on?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by HYPERR »

Johnj wrote:When you turn the key on does the dash light up? Do the headlight and taillight come on?
John he did state the headlights don't turn on even after charging it.

OP, like John asked does anything come on? Even the dashlights? Does the headlight have any light at all, however dim it may be? Any sign of life at all? Do you get any kind of a clicking noise when you hit the starter?

Assuming the charger is not defective, you may have killed the battery due to poor maintenance(low water level) and being left on all day at work.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Other than a battery I'm thinking it could be your tipover sensor. Underneath your seat there is a little box with some wires going to it, that's mounted with a rubber strap in a certain position. It even has "top" written on it. Unmount that and shake it around then put it back on the bike the same way you took it off.
Then try, did that help?
It's also possible it jarred a connection loose. Start wiggling your wiring harness around with the key on underneath the ignition, under the seat at the ECM, etc.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

#5 Unread post by StormRider »

When I turn the key it is deader than dead. No lights whatsoever and no clicking noise with starter. It's as if the key isn't in it. Tip over sensor? Really? Ya, I'm new.

Johnj
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

You might want to check the main fuse. Check the battery leads them self. One should be connected to the frame and the other is power. Use a test light, connect to NEG of the battery and touch the probe to the POS of the battery. Does the test light light up?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by StormRider »

Well if I'm using my voltmeter correctly, and I like to think that I am, then the battery is OK.
I think I found the tip over sensor (black box under the seat about 2"x3" mounted by a rubber strap) but shaking it didn't do the trick either.
The fuses are all intact as well.
I'm thinking I just might need to push it to the shop down the street.

storysunfolding
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: Vstrom 650, S1000RR, XS850, ZX6R

#8 Unread post by storysunfolding »

On many bikes the headlight doesn't illuminate until it's started. Also, sometimes we forget the easy things after a drop, like the terminals coming off, the fuses or the bike's inability to start when in gear with the sidestand down. Make sure the sidestand is up and it's in nuetral, the clutch switch is still connected and the side stand switch is still connected.

So hard to diagnose over the net, but I hope you figure it out.
My Blog

Grasp life by the handlebars

StormRider
Rookie
Rookie

#9 Unread post by StormRider »

On the S40 the light definitely comes on when the key it turned to the "on" position. The neutral indicator light won't illuminate. I'll triple check the bike for switches and and connections to make sure everything I can find is still connected. Otherwise the bike goes to the shop on Friday.

Thanks for all the suggestions and putting up with a rookie.