Hesitation at 4500 RPM's

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 26
My Motorcycle: 1998 Triumph Trophy
Location: Burnaby, BC, Canada, Sol 3, the Milky Way Galaxy, the Known Universe.

Hesitation at 4500 RPM's

#1 Unread post by ceemes »

Got my bike back this weekend, for the second time. Picked it up on Friday and it died after about 42 kilometres, shop picked it up and replaced a fuel filter. Today took it out for a good run and noticed a problem. Up to 4000 RPMs it runs fine, no hesitation or jerkiness, although it does seem to be a lot less responsive ie quick off the line then before, But when I get up to highways speeds which run between 4000 and 5000 RPM's in sixth gear, I start getting hesitation, like its not getting enough fuel. and at around 5000 RPM's, I can actually see a 500 RPM drop on the tach when this happens, which is about once every 10 to 20 seconds. I banged it up past 5500 RPM's and the problem went away and stayed away past 6000 RPM's, problem is, at that those revs in sixth gear, I am pulling in excess of 160KPH or over 100 MPH, something the Queens Cowboys tend to frown on.

When the bike was in the shop, they tore the carbs apart, gave it a sonic bath and replaced some choke components and resynced it. Prior to them doing this, I have no problems at all, the engine purred along at all revs and had plenty of roll on power even in sixth gear at 120 KPH, now when I try to roll on power, its sluggish. I will be taking her back to the shop on Tuesday when they open, but I would like to get a bit of feed back from the experts here before I do.

Thanks in advance,
Ceemes
Always ask why.

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

Re: Hesitation at 4500 RPM's

#2 Unread post by HYPERR »

Sometimes the spark plugs get fouled when you run out of gas or the bike dies due to a clogged fuel filter.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

That's very true. Might also want to have them re-sync the carbs. They should have done it at idle, 1500, 2000, and 4000 on that bike IIRC.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#4 Unread post by ceemes »

Well, its back at the shop for the third time this week. This time I watched as the tech took it out for a run to see what I have been experiencing. He came back and judging the way the tach was bouncing about, he figured it was an electrical fault, something was knocking out two cylinders for split second every few seconds at between 4000 and 6000 RPM's. They pulled my ECU off and replaced it and still the problem persisted. They then tried a second ECU and still no joy. Anyways, its staying over at the shop and tomorrow they are putting it on the dyno and running an sweep of the electronics and ignition system. They think it maybe a bad coil or two.....hopefully they will finally get it sorted......and to add insult to injury, I took the bus home from the shop....sigh......
Always ask why.

BuzZz
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 47
My Motorcycle: makes my 'nads tingle

#5 Unread post by BuzZz »

I'd say coil over CDI box from the sound of it. Possibly a bad plug or two.....
I'd say carburation over both first though..... since that's what was touched right before the problem showed up, that's where I'd start looking first if I was that shop.
No Witnesses.... :shifty:

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#6 Unread post by ceemes »

BuzZz wrote:I'd say coil over CDI box from the sound of it. Possibly a bad plug or two.....
I'd say carburation over both first though..... since that's what was touched right before the problem showed up, that's where I'd start looking first if I was that shop.
The carbs and fuel flow checked out fine, although I was lectured about leaving the petcock on primary. Never had a bike with that type of petcock before, three settings, reserve, run and primary and no off.......

Turned out to be the coils, so far anyways. when I called they had replaced the coils and had her up on the dyno doing another diagnostic run and she checked out okay. However, the shop owner asked if he could keep it another night and ride it home just to make sure everything was okay. I said fine and asked how much more I will have to pay.....only C$100......not too shabby. With luck, I will pick her up after work tomorrow and I can finally get back on two wheels properly......bet it bloody rains non stop now.
Always ask why.

NorthernPete
Years Riding: 11
My Motorcycle: 1988 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500

#7 Unread post by NorthernPete »

a hundred bucks so he can ride your bike to his house? Id be all "Ummmm, no, Ill ride it home and let you know if its still pooched"
1988 VN1500
2009 GS500F

ceemes
Legendary 2000
Legendary 2000

#8 Unread post by ceemes »

NorthernPete wrote:a hundred bucks so he can ride your bike to his house? Id be all "Ummmm, no, Ill ride it home and let you know if its still pooched"
Normally so would I, but this time I decided to get it properly test ridden before it was returned to me.......works fine now.
Always ask why.