omgwtfbbq
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

HeLp!

#1 Unread post by omgwtfbbq »

ok, my friend is having some problems with his 2005 suzuki katana gsx600r. recently the chain had came off the sprockets and shortly after the clutch does not have any tension to it and the bike has to be started in 2nd gear.is this a common issue or has it happened to anyone else on here? i greatly appreciate the help! :P also i have never worked on a bike before but have been working on car for quite a few years,so iam sure ill be fine working on it.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: HeLp!

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

OK, I suggest you get a manual for the bike in question? The chain doesn't jump off the sprocket, unless the sprocket doesn't have any teeth. If that sprocket is wore out then the sprocket on the back tire, and the chain are too.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

omgwtfbbq
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: none

#3 Unread post by omgwtfbbq »

it hasn't came off since that one time. the problem now is the clutch.it doesn't have any tension to it...

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Ok lemme chime in here.
If the chain even once came off of the sprocket it's either worn out, the sprocket's teeth are gone and both need to be replaced, or it's WAY too loose and needs to be tightened. Could probably use a replacement at that point in that case as well.
Secondly the clutch has no tension? As in does the clutch lever pull all the way in with no resistance? Check the cable, see if it's attached at the lever and at the point on the bottom where it attaches to a short arm.
If it's attached at both places and moves with the lever being pulled, then chances are good that either your clutch springs are broken or the pushrod inside the cases is broken.

As for the bike having to be in 2nd to be started. Never heard of that. On Suzukis there is a switch where the clutch MUST be pulled in to start the bike, and the kickstand must be down AND/OR the bike in neutral to start or run.

GET A MANUAL for the bike. Torque specs are more important on a bike than on a car by a long shot.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Just posting this there to subscribe to the thread.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha