sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

Re: Electrical problems again. Groan.

#11 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Still no progress. Bob, who is looking at it for me had a friend staying with him yesterday. This guy was supposed to be a whizz with electrics but was just as stumped as everyone else. I've checked out the horn and the wiring, especially around the headstock. Bob has gone over it again. Problem is, because the fuse keeps blowing there is not much time to test anything.

Sigh!

Thanks again for your suggestions. If anyone has a brainwave, let me know. I'm a bit bankrupt in that department for now.
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#12 Unread post by HYPERR »

sv-wolf wrote: Problem is, because the fuse keeps blowing there is not much time to test anything.
Isn't it easier to check with the fuse out and with the needle prongs of a multimeter or a test light in its place? :boat:
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#13 Unread post by pchast »

Hyperr has the right idea there.

Its kind of obviously a short to ground problem. Test the wire from the fuse where it leaves the fuse box to ground to prove it. It may even be the fuse box connections itself. Move existing wires around until you see the resistance increase.
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

sv-wolf
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

#14 Unread post by sv-wolf »

HYPERR wrote:
sv-wolf wrote: Problem is, because the fuse keeps blowing there is not much time to test anything.
Isn't it easier to check with the fuse out and with the needle prongs of a multimeter or a test light in its place? :boat:
Thanks HYPERR. I'll check this out with Bob. I did wonder why he thought it necessary to work on a live circuit, but as I know as much about electrics as I do about brain surgery I just had to accept his word.

Cheers

Richard
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog