sv-wolf
Site Supporter - Platinum
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 12
My Motorcycle: Honda Fireblade, 2004: Suzuki DR650, 201

Electrical problems again. Groan.

#1 Unread post by sv-wolf »

I have a Suzuki SV1000S '03 model. It has always had vague electrical problems but it has suddenly started blowing the 30 amp fuse (to the starter solenoid) every time I turn the ignition on. It doesn't affect any of the other smaller fuses. Trouble is I can't find the problem. I've passed the bike on to a mate who has a repair business but he can't find the problem either.

Anyone got any bright ideas? Any suggestions gratefully received.

Cheers

Hud
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

fireguzzi
Site Supporter - Bronze
Site Supporter - Bronze
My Motorcycle: dream bike (really, it's in my dreams)

Re: Electrical problems again. Groan.

#2 Unread post by fireguzzi »

Maybe a wire came loose somewhere and is grounding on the frame.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f101/fireguzzi/papabarsig.jpg[/img]

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#3 Unread post by HYPERR »

sv-wolf wrote:but it has suddenly started blowing the 30 amp fuse (to the starter solenoid) every time I turn the ignition on.
Are you sure the main fuse goes to the solenoid? Most main fuse goes to the starter relay not the starter or the solenoid. I don't have the schematics but I would think the SV is the same?

Since the fuse pops when you turn on the key, and not from pushing the starter button, the culprit short could be anything that goes on when you turn the key to he ON position.
Since you state this started recently, the question to start would be did you do any wiring work or install an electrical accessory shortly before it started popping the main fuse?
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

Fly me over, I'll rewire the bike with a full custom job, and we'll call it good.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#5 Unread post by pchast »

I had this with my wife's.... Its a pain but not difficult. I know its not what you want to hear...

Pull all the plastic and follow every wire in that circuit. For a quick check look for pinch or rub points from wire clamps or ties. Something has gotten pinched or rubbed through and it shorts to ground... Get to the first disconnect and unplug it. If it doesn't blow even when you move the last wire around its after that connector. Then do it again for the next.

You might get lucky and find it right away or it could take all afternoon sitting on a curb. I got stuck doing that once too.

good luck.

Pete
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

sv-wolf

#6 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi eveyone

Thanks for all the advice.

This one is turning into something of a mystery. I've eliminated a lot of possibles but still haven't pinned down the problem exactly yet. I'm closing in though.

I replaced the horn a few weeks back. The previous one had stopped working. But the horn doesn't take much power and I can't therefore see it blowing a 30 Watt fuse.

(On the SV, the horn is carefully located behind the radiator and right up against the engine. It therefore stops working as soon as the engine gets hot. :roll: After a while it stops working permanently on all SV thous. Who designs these things?)
Hud

“Man has no right to kill his brother. It is no excuse that he does so in uniform: he only adds the infamy of servitude to the crime of murder.”
Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

Keyoke
Years Riding: 22
My Motorcycle: 1993 Yamaha TDM

#7 Unread post by Keyoke »

Hey Hud, long time no speak!

So, could you have moved/damaged/nipped a different cable whilst doing the horn?

Have you done any other work near anything that could cause this?

Another idea is could something have been put back wrong? e.g have you got hearted grips on the bike, and when you've taken the cables off the battery they've gotten swapped over? or have you had the headlight out and goten 2 cables mixed up when putting back the tangled mess that is a japanese wiring loom? ;)

Hope you find out!

B.
Don't give up.

Not now, not soon, not after being continually knocked down.

If you never give up, you can never truly fail.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v84/keyoke/Ultima-Dragon-Animated.gif[/img]

sv-wolf

#8 Unread post by sv-wolf »

Hi Byrney

Good to hear from you. How's it going?

Hmm, yes. Being the perfectly competent mechanic is only something that I aspire to as a far off dream. I've not messed around with the SV's electrics at all except to put on a new horn. Something could have gone wrong, though. It's suspicious that this should have happened so soon afterwards. I've given up and placed the whole job in the hands of someone I know who has his own bike business.

It is getting all a bit mystical and expensive.

Cheers

Hud
Hud

Percy Bysshe Shelley

SV-Wolf's Bike Blog

pchast
Site Supporter - Silver
Site Supporter - Silver
Years Riding: 10
My Motorcycle: 1980 Suzuki GS550L, 2019 Zero DSR

#9 Unread post by pchast »

Well, what happened? Where was the problem? Inquiring minds want to know....
2019 Zero DSR, 1980 Suzuki GS550L

HYPERR
Legendary 3000
Legendary 3000
My Motorcycle: Year/Make/Model

#10 Unread post by HYPERR »

sv-wolf wrote:Hi eveyone

Thanks for all the advice.

This one is turning into something of a mystery. I've eliminated a lot of possibles but still haven't pinned down the problem exactly yet. I'm closing in though.

I replaced the horn a few weeks back. The previous one had stopped working. But the horn doesn't take much power and I can't therefore see it blowing a 30 Watt fuse.

(On the SV, the horn is carefully located behind the radiator and right up against the engine. It therefore stops working as soon as the engine gets hot. :roll: After a while it stops working permanently on all SV thous. Who designs these things?)
Then the wiring on the horn would then be the first place I would check. It could have a short making the fuse pop.
2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100
2006 Kawasaki KLX250S
2004 Honda CBR600RR
2002 BMW R1150R
1996 Ducati 900SS