mariner4590
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 1
My Motorcycle: 1994/Yamaha/Seca II

Yamaha Seca II ignition problems

#1 Unread post by mariner4590 »

Hi all, I'm a new rider and I'm having trouble with my bike, a used '94 Yamaha Seca II. When I hit the ignition switch on my bike this morning it made a few pathetic grunts and then stopped, with only a sound like gas escaping when I held it down. I had the choke all the way open, the clutch down, the bike in neutral but I couldn't get it to start up. One thing I did notice was that the oil light came on when I held down the ignition switch. The light did seem very faint, so I'm wondering if maybe the battery is drained? It's cold and the bike hasn't been ridden in the last two weeks. As you may have guessed, my knowledge of mechanics is pretty lacking. Does this sound like something that could be easily remedied or do I need to take it in to a professional? Thanks.

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Yamaha Seca II ignition problems

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Do you have a battery charger?
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

mariner4590
Rookie
Rookie

#3 Unread post by mariner4590 »

I don't. How much would one cost me? Does that seem likely to be the problem?

mariner4590
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by mariner4590 »

As I stated, I'm a new rider with almost no knowledge of maintenance, so any knowledge you can throw at me is highly appreciated.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Yeah a battery charger is your first step, maybe 20-30 bucks at a local store (hardware, motorcycle, auto). Let it charge on the lowest amperage setting you can overnight. That should help it charge back up.
If it does it again then chances are that you have a bad cell in the battery and it needs to be replaced.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

Johnj

#6 Unread post by Johnj »

You might want to check the water in the battery before you charge it. Use distilled water and an eyedropper. The level should be between the lines at the top.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

mariner4590
Rookie
Rookie

#7 Unread post by mariner4590 »

Ok, thank you. However, if the lights (headlight, turn signals, etc) are coming on, would that imply that the problem might not be with the battery?

Johnj

#8 Unread post by Johnj »

The battery might have enough charge to get the lights working, but not enough to start the bike.
mariner4590 wrote:When I hit the ignition switch on my bike this morning it made a few pathetic grunts and then stopped, with only a sound like gas escaping when I held it down. I had the choke all the way open, the clutch down, the bike in neutral but I couldn't get it to start up. One thing I did notice was that the oil light came on when I held down the ignition switch. The light did seem very faint, so I'm wondering if maybe the battery is drained? It's cold and the bike hasn't been ridden in the last two weeks. As you may have guessed, my knowledge of mechanics is pretty lacking. Does this sound like something that could be easily remedied or do I need to take it in to a professional? Thanks.
I say check the level of the water in the battery, then charged overnight (on the low setting).