caspermontana
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: 2007 Custom Honda Shadow VLX Deluxe

Idle adjustment for an 82 Suzuki GS1100GK Full Dress

#1 Unread post by caspermontana »

I have just recently purchased a 1982 Suzuki GS1100GK Full Dress Touring Edition. I also own a same year Kawasaki KZ1100A, the
reason that I told THAT, is because unlike the KZ, which has an idle adjustment screw between the first and second carburetor
facing back, which by simply turning it, you adjust the idle speed up or down. The Suzuki, which by their own admissions about copying the KZ750 for their first 4 stroke engine on the market, their 1100 engine is also very similar, down to the bore/stroke and
CC size. BUT, after looking for over an hour with 500,000 candle power work lamps shining on the motor, all that I could find was a knob facing the right side, which only turned just under a full turn, then just snapped back as it is spring loaded, so I now have an adjustment of SOME KIND that I have no idea what it is, and I still cant find my idle adjuster! PLEASE PLEASE, if ANYONE knows the answer to this, email me at glenn.merideth@gmail.com
G.E.Merideth
Bridger, Montana
AKA "Casper"
http://s481.photobucket.com/albums/rr176/montanaghost/
CEO/Pres. ReCycle of Montana INC.
Specializing in midsized 70's to 90's Japanese Street Bikes.[center][/center]

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: Idle adjustment for an 82 Suzuki GS1100GK Full Dress

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Try finding the throttle stop screw. It should be around where the throttle cable attaches to the carburetors.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Yep, there's a throttle stop screw (has detents so you can grab it with your fingers and a philips head to use a screwdriver on it) between the number 2 and 3 carbs facing what would be the rear of the gas tank if it was on the bike. Adjust that and you're good to go!
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

caspermontana
Rookie
Rookie

#4 Unread post by caspermontana »

Wrider wrote:Yep, there's a throttle stop screw (has detents so you can grab it with your fingers and a philips head to use a screwdriver on it) between the number 2 and 3 carbs facing what would be the rear of the gas tank if it was on the bike. Adjust that and you're good to go!
can it be adjusted while the engine is hot? I have just read your response and have not yet went out to the garage and looked yet
(it's midnight here now) i'm just trying to get an idea of just where to look, as I must have already spent better than 45 minutes trying to find the so&so thing. believe me when I say that using the adjustment of the throttle cable up by the grip is getting old!
G.E.Merideth
Bridger, Montana
AKA "Casper"

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#5 Unread post by Wrider »

Yeah it can be adjusted while the engine is hot if you have the tank off. Use an external fuel bottle and you should be golden!
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

caspermontana
Rookie
Rookie

#6 Unread post by caspermontana »

Wrider wrote:Yeah it can be adjusted while the engine is hot if you have the tank off. Use an external fuel bottle and you should be golden!

well then, first, thanks for the tip. second, as I'm getting ready to start taking body panels off so I can paint her, I'll start with the tank an try your tip. I wonder why the didn't make the idle adjustment screw like Kawasaki did, as otherwise, both engines are almost identical (I have an 82 full dress KX1100A sitting right next to it) the Kaw idle screw is pointing straight back between the
2 right carbs.
G.E.Merideth
Bridger, Montana
AKA "Casper"

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold

#7 Unread post by Wrider »

Because we can't have logic on our sides now can we??? haha
Yeah I know what you mean. Try working on a modern dirt bike carb. First off good luck getting the thing out without pulling the subframe off, then good luck getting it back together once it's apart... Modern flatslides are not easy to work on.
And on the WR450F they have a throttle stop screw to keep the EPA happy for the street legality of it. If you want it to respond like it should (dirt bike for the street anyone?) you have to pull out that screw and shorten it. You've either got to pull the whole carb or you have to get a REALLY long allen and thread it through a very small hole, cut the screw, then figure out how to finagle it back into the carb through that same small hole.