I can't believe this! (Q: How to get the oil filter off)

blanny431
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 40
My Motorcycle: 2008 custom All American Chopper

I can't believe this! (Q: How to get the oil filter off)

#1 Unread post by blanny431 »

Well this is going to sound rediculous but I need to find an answer so I am trying to ask all the questions I can to find the answer....

I ride a 2008 custom All American Chopper only had it since last summer it has a 113ci S&S motor and I use K&N oil filter......yesterday I went to change my oil...these filters have the nut to unscrew them welded right on the end of the filter..so I go to unscrew it (counterclockwise) and it wont budge an inch...so I keep trying and it starts to strip this nut....so I went and got an oil filter wrench for my car (the one that wraps around the filter) so I go to unscrew it(counterclockwise) and it wont budge an inch and then Im wrenching hard enough on it to collapse the filter in on itself..not bad enough to start it leaking but it did collapse a bit..........

now I cant even ride it to a shop to have it taken off because im pretty sure that oil filter isnt working like it is supposed to.......and the reason i wrote (counterclockwise) like that is because some things unscrew (clockwise) but Im pretty sure these dont!!!

can someone tell me what in the heck is going on....an how I am supposed to get this thing off.....I put it on last summer and I never really even use a wrench to tighten the oil filters. I really cant figure out why this thing is so tight it wont budge..and for the filter to start collapsing in on itself I was trying pretty hard to unscrew it..............

So if anyone has an idea on what to do to get this off I would REALLY appreciate it....because right now Im stuck....thanks alot Kev

Oh this filter is right at the front of the engine and sits horizontally.....I'll put up a pic Im not sure how good you'll be able to see it though..........

Post Edited (blanny431) : 3/19/2011 3:19:19 PM GMT

Kingshead
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Years Riding: 100
My Motorcycle: 1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

Re: I cant even believe this!!

#2 Unread post by Kingshead »

I've had this happen before, drove a screw driver through the filter sideways and used it like a handle. Did this only as a last resort as I was in the same position you are in.

Martin
Welcome to the Horde!!!

1999 Honda Shadow VT1100C2 A.C.E.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Yup, as a mechanic who has had many a filter act like that. Drive the screwdriver through *use a philips* toward the middle or end of the filter. That way you won't hit anything it threads onto in there.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha

JVRR
Elite
Elite
Years Riding: 0
My Motorcycle: 2004 Suzuki GS500F

#4 Unread post by JVRR »

Did the same thing on my car! That's how the guys at Oil Can Henry's got it off :D.
-JV
Xbox LIVE!: "Vlad is Rad"
PSN: "Vlad_is_Rad"
SCII: "Volodya" (code: 314)

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

#5 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

:welcome2: blanny431 to the community!

Thankfully, I've always found a way to get a stuck filter off (even if it was twisted) without a screw driver (although I was close at one time...). Using a oil filter (3/8" wrench) cup (metal ones not the plastic ones) have worked 100% thus far, sometimes using a cloth on the oil filter then using the filter cup on top of that gives it enough to remove it as well.

For stuck bolts I have my "wife bar". Which is basicly a long hollow metal tube (scrap, although mine is a 1978 Suzuki exhaust baffle), using a 3/8 or 1/2 socket wrench, wrap around a cloth, side on the 3' wife bar and it WILL move. :D

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.