pickledherring
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 20
My Motorcycle: 94/honda/vf750Magna

what did i do?

#1 Unread post by pickledherring »

i disconnected the clutch cable from the cover plate and pulled the drive sprocket cover off of my bike. A '94 vf 750 honda magna. After changing my front sprocket i put the cover on and reconneced the clutch cable. but now the clutch will not engage. I tried removing the cover again and attempted to manualy engage the clutch by poking around with the shaft that the clutch cable moves.. (i am now guessing the lifter rod?) Did i screw the pooch? thank you in advance.. AJ

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

Re: what did i do?

#2 Unread post by Johnj »

Hello and welcome to the forum. First I would suggest that you buy or borrow a manual for your model. Sometimes you can find them online.

When you have the cover off, is the clutch engaged? (engaged=engine connected to transmission)

When the cover is on, clutch cable disconnected, is the clutch engaged?

When you connect the clutch cable does it disengage the clutch? I'd say the adjustment of the clutch cable is off.

But I'm working blind, soundless, smelliness, and can't even touch the bike.

:ninja:
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

Re: what did i do?

#3 Unread post by Wrider »

Sounds to me like JohnJ you didn't reconnect something properly. Like he said get a manual and go from that.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha