dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

help,removing boot marks?

#1 Unread post by dirt dobber »

how do you remove boot marks from hot pipes? i bought a bottle of boot mark remover at dealer But, they didn't have the scrub pad. i have been told use tar remorver, (didn't work) it's old thou, some one said use aluminum foil (bright side) as scrub pad (worked) but if i scrub hard it scratches. i'm runing my new pipes. i've been watching on how i'm touching it. not sure how.
need advice as i'm new to hot pipes. thanks. :(

totalmotorcycle
Administrator
Administrator
Years Riding: 32
My Motorcycle: 2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Stone

Re: help,removing boot marks?

#2 Unread post by totalmotorcycle »

Many moons ago (my wife is going to kill me for telling this story) when I regularly doubled her on the back (and before she even had a motorcycle license), she rested her boot heel on the pipe when riding, each week I'd polish up the bike and notice a rubber on the pipes and wonder, where did that come from... well, it didn't take long to figure that one out...haha

Thus I had to clean it up, I found autosol worked. Also always use the finest steel wool possible first (like 000) then move into the lower grades.

Mike
NEW 2024 Motorcycle Model Guides
2023 Motorcycle Model Guides

Total Motorcycle is official Media/Press for Aprilia, Benelli, Beta, Bimota, BMW, Brammo, Buell, Can-Am, CCW, Ducati, EBR, Harley-Davidson, Honda, Husqvarna, Husaberg, Hyosung, Indian, Kawasaki, KTM, KYMCO, LiveWire, Moto Guzzi, Moto Morini, MV Agusta, Norton, Phantom, Piaggio, Polaris, Ridley, Roehr, Royal Enfield, Suzuki, Triumph, Ural, Vespa, Victory, Yamaha and Zero.

dirt dobber
Veteran
Veteran
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2010 HD sportster XL1200 custom

Re: help,removing boot marks?

#3 Unread post by dirt dobber »

totalmotorcycle wrote:Many moons ago (my wife is going to kill me for telling this story) when I regularly doubled her on the back (and before she even had a motorcycle license), she rested her boot heel on the pipe when riding, each week I'd polish up the bike and notice a rubber on the pipes and wonder, where did that come from... well, it didn't take long to figure that one out...haha

Thus I had to clean it up, I found autosol worked. Also always use the finest steel wool possible first (like 000) then move into the lower grades.

Mike
thanks mike, the tin foil might work with that. i clean it with tin foil after using hill mark remover. 1 place i rub to hard, left scratches, where i didn't rub hard it didn't. i just thought there was a better way, safe.