iceman6711
Rookie
Rookie
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 30
My Motorcycle: 87 Kawasaki Voyager XII

87 Voyager XII shifting issues

#1 Unread post by iceman6711 »

I can't shift up.Shifts into 1st gear smooth & normal,clutch works fine,takes off fine,but can't shift up.It just goes into neutral.Then the only way I can shift after that is back into 1st.
Does anyone know what this could be?

snoseeker
Rookie
Rookie
Years Riding: 38
My Motorcycle: 2002kawasaki voyager

Re: 87 Voyager XII shifting issues

#2 Unread post by snoseeker »

I was told that there is a ball bearing in some kind of shaft that can get stuck it and it will not let it shift up not sure if that is it I think it sounds like it could be it I was told to rev it up and try to shift it and see if it git unstuck

Johnj
Site Supporter - Platinum
Site Supporter - Platinum
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: A Bolt of Lightning

#3 Unread post by Johnj »

Dale, Hello and welcome to the forum. You can look at a parts breakdown at sites like this or this. Good luck.
People say I'm stupid and apathetic. I don't know what that means, and I don't care.
Always wear a helmet, eye protection, and protective clothing. Never ride under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Wrider
Site Supporter - Gold
Site Supporter - Gold
Years Riding: 4
My Motorcycle: 2005 Kawasaki Z750S

#4 Unread post by Wrider »

I know a lot of Kawis designed in that era have a "positive neutral finder" that consists of a couple of ball bearings making it impossible to shift into 2nd when you're sitting still.
Definitely get it moving, near redline in 1st, then try to shift. If you can't, leave it in neutral, let the clutch lever out, pull it back in, and then see if you can't get into 2nd.
Have owned - 2001 Suzuki Volusia
Current bike - 2005 Kawasaki Z750S
MMI Graduation date January 9th, 2009. Factory Certifications in Suzuki and Yamaha