ChrisC
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 5
My Motorcycle: 1994 suzuiki VS800

1994 Suzuki Intruder 800VS

#1 Unread post by ChrisC »

Okay, so i just recently bought this bike (1994 Suzuki Intruder 800VS) i bought the bike from a coworker, he said all it needed was a fresh tank of gas and a good charge on the battery. after picking up the bike for Sh** and giggles i hooked up a jumper pack to the bikes ground and hot wire for the battery terminals, one the clamps of the jumpers made contact the (starter motor?) immediately starts spinning and the bike is trying to crank over. even with the key on the off position and out of the bike... when the key is put in on the ON position i get all the lights to come on but bike is still trying to crank over... how is this possible, do you think there is a short in the wiring somewheres a long the way or do you think its a solenoid issue. Please help im super eager to get the bike on the road! :(

~~Chris

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: 1994 Suzuki Intruder 800VS

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

jumper clamps are big and awkward and can touch things they aren't supposed to.
If you don't know what you are doing you could fry the bike's electronics with clumsy actions.

After confirming the battery has the proper DISTILLED water level- do a proper charge on the battery
(2amp MAXIMUM for maybe 12 hrs - bike batteries are small compared to car batts). 0.5 Amp for 24 hrs is better.

Then retry it with the key.

Unless your coworker is a jerk and sold you a malfunctioning bike ..... if the bike's battery won't start it, get a new bike battery.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E