Hi all, new to here. Nice to meet you. So with that said.

rocksspace
Tricycle Squid
Tricycle Squid
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 35
My Motorcycle: 2012 hd road king

Hi all, new to here. Nice to meet you. So with that said.

#1 Unread post by rocksspace »

I have a 2012 FLHRC. I have this issue of usually when cold or when it has sat for more than a few hours, it hesitates before turning engine. Once engine is turned it starts immediately. I have had a diagnostic test done at a certified Harley dealer on battery, starter, charging system etc. They had bike for a few days and started it many times and they have said, of course "that it never acted up". So now ive had it for a couple days and it has done it a few times. I use a (Battery Tender) brand charger religiously and even after sitting all night it will act up in the morning. It will NOT act up if im just getting gas, or in simple, turning off for a short period of time. Dealer wants me to bring it in again as I said I was going to get a second opinion. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you. Rock

GS_in_CO
Legendary 300
Legendary 300
Sex: Male
Years Riding: 34
My Motorcycle: 1988 BMW R100GS

Re: Hi all, new to here. Nice to meet you. So with that said

#2 Unread post by GS_in_CO »

Cold = thicker oil = harder to turn over. So it won't do this while hot.
Cold requires more current thru the starter to roll the engine.
Weak battery, corroded connections to the battery or starter, loose connection to the battery or starter or undersized hot or ground wire.

My first place to look would be battery connections. Take them off and wire brush both battery side and connector side to shiny bright. Then put back on properly tight.

If you have summer weight oil in the bike and it's turned winter where you are - that would contribute.
Ron

Current: 1988 BMW R100GS (the 'numberplate' model)

Past: 1987 Yamaha XT350
1983 Honda CB900F
1980 Honda XL185S
1979 Suzuki GS425E